A newbie mistake

custodian

Always back up, I should practice what a preach. I lost my hard drive along with every thing that was on it. Good thing I am not good at taking pictures yet. UGG what a pain. :eek:

Mike150

A lot of times, a hard drive crash is simply the loss of the boot sector. A good computer technician has tools that can recover lost files, provided you haven't reformatted the drive.

As for backing up. There are dozens of memory storage devices on the market now, and prices are still going down.

I will load my memory card to my hard drive in the my pictures area. I then immediately copy that entire new folder to a network drive. Once I have enough new photos on the network drive to fill a DVD, I will burn a new DVD for storage elsewhere (at work in my case).

Editing done to a photo (lightroom or photoshop) are always done to a copy of the original. The copy always gets the original filename with a -A or -B added to the filename. (12345.jpg is the original, and 12345-A.jpg as the copy).

Filename structure is whatever suits you best. I always use Date+CameraFilename. The folder has date and subject description.

My daughter, on the other hand fills a memory card in the computer, and then buys a new card. She has no clue how to use a computer even though I've shown her (and her husband) many times. She will take a 1G memory card to the photo lab, and view all the photos using their kiosk, and selecting her favorites to get printed. She counts on me taking her extra memory cards and loading them onto my computer for safekeeping. NOT a good plan, but it works for her.

Finally, remember that NO backup plan is foolproof. The most difficult part is forcing yourself to do the extra steps.

I hope this info is clear to you, and I'm sure you'll get other suggestions that are probably better.

custodian

Thanks Mike, I got lucky with a few that I thought I had lost but it seems I was smarter then I thought when I first set the comp up all my pictures went to one of my web sites when I loaded them. But I should try and remember to back up still. I also have not been able to purchase lightroom or photoshop yet. LOL still paying for the camera. Thanks again and happy clicking.

goz63

I lost a bunch of pics this last fall too. I had them on my hard drive and did not back them up to my time capsule. My son did some work on the computer and not his fault had to reformat the hard drive. I forgot to tell him I needed the pictures off it before hand. Most of my stepsons wedding ( I was not the photographer but just a dad) was on there. Fortunately I had saved a few of the best ones elsewhere but it was a big loss. We all learn!