180 2.8 af-d

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Is anyone using this lens on a D6/7/800? I've got an opportunity to get a nice looking pre-owned one and was wondering if some of you had positive or negative thoughts about it.

ShootRaw

Anywhere from $350 to $500 used... The lower priced ones have some issues like light hazing, scratches etc.. The one I bidded on was $440 with light internal dust.. I made a lower offer and am waiting for a response..

Last edited:

nzswift

I have one and like it lots. Light and AF seems fast on it. Produces lovely images. Go ahead with the search you won't be disapointed....

singlerosa_RIP

I had the 80-200 2.8 AF-D for years before getting the 70-200 VR-II and liked it a lot. Used it for portraits, but not much at longer focal lengths, since you have to keep some distance from you subject. Even with the 70-200, I find that I use my 85 more for portraits and when I use the 70-200, it's more at the 85-165 range.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I was sitting in my car at the store's doors and chickened out. I had buyer's remorse even before I bought it which is great since I did save around 500$ with tax.
I guess I realized that this lens would not make me a better person nor photographer.

Maybe later, who knows. :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I was sitting in my car at the store's doors and chickened out. I had buyer's remorse even before I bought it which is great since I did save around 500$ with tax.
I guess I realized that this lens would not make me a better person nor photographer.

Maybe later, who knows. :)

Then later came and you can see this lens at work in my 365 thread.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
How is the lens? Here in town someone is selling the same and I'm thinking about buying it.

It's great, if you want to see some pics I did with it today here's the link. Depending on how you see threads (from last to first or first to last), it's post #529.
It's a lens I'd have no problem recommending.

J-see

It's great, if you want to see some pics I did with it today here's the link. Depending on how you see threads (from last to first or first to last), it's post #529.
It's a lens I'd have no problem recommending.

I want to use it with the TC20. My 200mm has a square end and the 70-300mm is focus hunting which I suppose is because it isn't fast enough. Since the 180mm is faster, I hoped it would focus with the TC.

Those are pretty sharp shots btw. I read the 180mm was good but hadn't seen shots.