Lens age vs serial number

STM

An interesting site that lets you estimate your lens' age by its serial number. I really wished Nikon had adapted a system similar to that used by Hasselblad. Theirs is much more detailed and specific. I know not only year but month of manufacture of every piece of Blad equipment I own by its serial number.

Nikon Lens Versions and Serial Nos

480sparky

So, what difference does it make if a lens was made in April 1992 or June 1993?

Is there an expiration date on glass?

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

It really doesn't make any difference as far as using the lens or other equipment for its primary function.

I think it's more relevant when you have something that you consider to be a collectible vintage/antique item, to know when it was made.

rocketman122

It does matter at times to know what batch it was produced in. Its said the 105vr that was made in japan is better built than the one from china, for instance. Not sure though. I have the chinese one.
Its also good to verify if the lens was a specific make. For instance the 135dc had a d and non d. So many would even know because not many would notice the d marking. The serial is a good reference for that. Also if the person selling the lens isnt knowledgeable about the lens (like on ebay), u could verify which it is by the serial.

480sparky

It does matter at times to know what batch it was produced in. Its said the 105vr that was made in japan is better built than the one from china, for instance. Not sure though. I have the chinese one.
Its also good to verify if the lens was a specific make. For instance the 135dc had a d and non d. So many would even know because not many would notice the d marking. The serial is a good reference for that. Also if the person selling the lens isnt knowledgeable about the lens (like on ebay), u could verify which it is by the serial.

Yet aren't the lenses marked with country of manufacture (MIJ, LMIJ, etc), and D lenses are marked with a D?

rocketman122

some yes and others are worn out. regarding D and non D, it is marked but some might know what lens it really is. some sellers on ebay are not knowledgeable about the lenses they are selling. relative that passed away for instance. once a serial number is know, it give a a lof of info about the lens.

STM

Of course not. But my point was that Hasselblad does a much better job of proving their users a more accurate way of knowing just how old their equipment is. Two of my Carl Zeiss lenses actually say Made in WEST Germany. This is especially important if you are buying used equipment. This is the best list of Nikkor serial number listings I have found and if you are lucky you can narrow it down to year with most lenses. Nikon must have detailed records too, but there is no way to find out what they are. For me it IS important to know the vintage if I am buying a used AI or AIS lens, which are all I use and will ever use. For others who buy newer AF lenses of varying descriptions, perhaps not so much.

480sparky

.......This is the best list of Nikkor serial number listings I have found and if you are lucky you can narrow it down to year with most lenses. ............

It is, however, incomplete and potentially inaccurate.

I purchased a lens that was outside the range of SN's they listed for it. To their credit, they changed it when I informed them of the SN of my lens. It has since been changed again.

But not everyone reports their glass' SNs to them.

So instead of encrypting all this in a SN, why not just put "Man'd 11-02-2014, Fumbuck Egypt" instead? Or is that TOO simple?

STM

It is, however, incomplete and potentially inaccurate.

I purchased a lens that was outside the range of SN's they listed for it. To their credit, they changed it when I informed them of the SN of my lens. It has since been changed again.

But not everyone reports their glass' SNs to them.

So instead of encrypting all this in a SN, why not just put "Man'd 11-02-2014, Fumbuck Egypt" instead? Or is that TOO simple?

Perhaps that is something you should take up with Nikon.

STM

Much ado about nothing. Feel free to carry on with your rant.

I am done here.

Honestly, it as you who went on with the rant. I simply provided a link for people wanting to know how to tell age of Nikkors given their serial number. You were the one who came up wit the unnecessary smartass answer about expiration dates on glass.