In need of a lot of help - portrait staff photos

Jackpsmithuk

Hello everyone,

How are you all?

I don't have much experience with cameras and lighting, but my boss has asked me to take some good portrait staff pictures. I've attached pictures which contain equipment that he has given me, I just don't know where to position everything to get good pictures.
Can someone help me and point me in the right direction?

The two blackboards (one is bigger) are both white on the other side.

tumblr_ne5i9y2KRX1qka6nwo1_500.jpg

tumblr_ne5i9y2KRX1qka6nwo2_250.jpg

tumblr_ne5i9y2KRX1qka6nwo3_250.jpg

tumblr_ne5i9y2KRX1qka6nwo4_250.jpg

tumblr_ne5i9y2KRX1qka6nwo5_r1_500.jpg

BackdoorArts

Ah, the old, "Oh, you're a photographer? Great!! Can you take some portraits?!"

You're question: I've attached pictures which contain equipment that he has given me, I just don't know where to position everything to get good pictures. Can someone help me and point me in the right direction?

The answer to your question is the ever painful, "It depends". How and where you point things depends on everything else in the room, and especially where the natural light is coming from. Don't over complicate things. If you have a window, use the natural light you have and then use flash and/or reflectors to fill it.

<font color="#000000">

This is an excerpt from a great course on Flash Photography from Lynda.com that finally allowed me to wrap my head around the concept. It might help you a little (it's speaking mainly about bounce flash) but try and glean some of the other subtle information out of it. Or, see if you can get a one-day free pass and watch the whole damn thing - Foundations of Photography - Flash - it's worth your time (and in your case specifically, Chapter 3 and the first two videos in Chapter 4).

I'm sure there are plenty of videos on YouTube as well. The main thing is, figure out what the room offers you and then practice on someone and get things right before you start bringing people in.