Help needed on daylight blur photography.

MAMF

I am trying to copy this effect from N photo magazine.

IMG_20140727_163215.jpg

When I set my camera up to those settings the photos come out totally blank, I am great at image blur in a dark sky so yesterday morning albeit with no people around I had to set my camera up to these settings.

CSC_8993.jpg

Lens at 200mm, 1", iso 100, F32 and expo comp at -5, ND4 filter on a tripod.

Why have I had to set my D3200 so differently and would it have worked like above with people around?

This is a night blur photograph which is easy.

10341986_10202897341259145_2160863612201282398_n.jpg

BackdoorArts

You can't just put in settings and hope they come out correct, you need to meter for the image using the desired shutter speed as your guide and getting everything else in line. Exposure compensation will not help you in these situations, it just wants to underexpose and will change your shutter speed appropriately, not darken the image. In bright sunlight an ND4 filter isn't close to powerful enough to get you down to the .5-2 second range you're likely looking for.

Looking at the N-photo shot it looks like it was fairly overcast due to the lack of shadow definition, so that will buy you a couple stops off the bat. You're going to want another 3-4 stops from an ND, and more wouldn't hurt.