D7000 vs D7100

Nowe

Hi everyone, need your inputs again.

I currently own a D3100 for about a year now, and I'm planning to upgrade my body if I want to be taken seriously by future clients in photography. I love taking portraits and beauty shots as well as studio set ups and weddings.
I know that photography isn't just about the equipment you use, but I really feel the need to upgrade from my D3100 if I really want to pursue photography as a profession/career.

I'm on a budget and the most I could afford now is the D7000.
Now my question is this; is it worth the investment if ever I really decide on purchasing the D7000? Or should I go for its successor which is the D7100?

I really need your inputs (especially with people who has owned or currently using these bodies.) whether or not the differences of both bodies is signifacantly worth the add'll money?

Any inputs or advice will help. Thanks everyone! Happy shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaST

I've owned both and they are both fine cameras. My only complaint about the D7100 is the small buffer when shooting RAW. It was less of a problem for the D7000 mainly because of the smaller MP count. I don't really take high frame rates so it's pretty much a non-issue for me. If I compared images between the two I have to say the D7100 takes it all the time. The sensor performs above my expectations.

Nowe

With regards to the images for both cameras, does it really show a significant difference?

egosbar

save for a d810 lol , if you want to shoot professionally then id want the new 810 , i want it and i only shoot as a hobby lol , i do own a 7100 though and they are a great camera but you really do need some nice glass , im looking at a 105mm 2.8 for my portraits and macro and id also recommend the tokina 11-16 its a great lens that doesnt break the bank

BackdoorArts

The D7000 is 4+ year old technology and sensors have come a long way in that period of time. Having shot both I can tell you that it's not even close. If you don't have the extra cash then wait and save, because it's well worth what you get in IQ and high ISO performance.

Nowe

I just realized how obvious my question is, of course the d7100 would win against its predecessor in terms of maybe everything. Lol.

But given my budget, I don't think I could really afford the d7100.

Nowe

Any feedbacks for the d7000 without comparison to the d7100? Thanks again everyone!

SteveH

Any feedbacks for the d7000 without comparison to the d7100? Thanks again everyone!

I'd seriously think about just saving longer - The D7000 is a good camera, but the 7100 is much better... It is very easy to get the most affordable NOW, but if you go with a D7000 I bet you'll be buying a D7100 in 6 months or so.

Going by the type of photography you are into, I'd also suggest staying away from the (Generally) cheaper 'DX' lenses, as I see your destiny being in full frame.

Nowe

I'd seriously think about just saving longer - The D7000 is a good camera, but the 7100 is much better... It is very easy to get the most affordable NOW, but if you go with a D7000 I bet you'll be buying a D7100 in 6 months or so.

Going by the type of photography you are into, I'd also suggest staying away from the (Generally) cheaper 'DX' lenses, as I see your destiny being in full frame.

If I just had the money I'd skip the d7000 or the d7100 and go straight to an FX body. :))

singlerosa_RIP

I've owned a D7000 for 4 years and a D600 for 1.5 years. I've also owned a variety of lenses, from cheap kit lenses to Nikon's best 2.8 zooms and fast primes. I'd rather have a D7000 with great glass than a D7100 with a kit lens. If you're going to shoot weddings (and be taken seriously), you need a 24-70 (maybe a 17-55) and a 70-200. The 70-200 can also be your portrait lens. That's $2500-$4000 in glass, depending on whose lenses you buy (Nikon, Sigma, Tamron...).

As for the 7000, it has served me well and still is used as a second body. Whatever you buy, my suggestion is to buy FX lenses going forward so you're ready to make the move to full frame in the future.

Good luck.

Englischdude

yup, wait for the D7100. i had the D7000 but had repeated issues with the autofocus system. The D7100 has the focus system, which I believe is used in some of Nikons high-end FX bodies. The 7100 has the low pass filter removed, the images are sharp sharp sharp! Low light performance is superior to the d7k due to the newer sensor technology. Although the d7k is a fine camera, the d7100 wins hands down. If it means waiting for a few months to save up, it will be worth it, in the meantime shoot with your cellphone, after whch you will appreciate your new d7100 all the more!

I confirm the issue with the buffer size on the d7100, but it is not so much of a problem for me.

TattooedMac

I heard it from a wise man
"Buy it once buy it good"
Go for best you can get, in this case the D7100.

I agree here. I tell this to anyone wanting to buy a Mac, when they always want the latest and greatest, buy what you can afford and you will be fine.
Unfortunately I'm one of those people, and having my D7000 for 6 months I really does take a beautiful image.
As others have said, it's the sensor and a few other things that makes the D7100 superior in terms of camera differences, but I would be happy if I still had my D7000.

Using Tapatalk on iPad Mini

JohnFrench

I was perfectly happy with my D7000 until I bought the D7100. With that said, if you can not afford a 7100 in the future, a 7000 will make you happy. It is a nice large camera which automatically makes you a chick magnet, it has the protected LCD rear screen, nice easy to learn controls well-located, many lenses are available both Nikon and after market, I liked mine, still like it and still have it too.