Kudos to Nikon Germany

pforsell

I have an antique Nikon D1X that got neglected and never got the firmware update. The update is possible only in service as this camera predates the user upgradeable modern cameras. Lately I have taken it out of naphtalene and I actually like using it. The biggest grief is the small buffer (only 6 RAW) and slow write times to CF card (4 sec per picture). The firmware upgrade boosts the write time by 30 % so it actually is a big deal.

Okay, I contacted Nikon Finland. Nope, they have discarded the 'cables and adapters' ages ago, that's what they told me.

Nikon Nordic HQ then in Stockholm, Sweden. That was more promising at first, but after a week of pondering the reply was also nope, because they have no computers left with DOS operating system.

Nikon UK next. That took only 2 days and the reply was the same. No go, they have misplaced the instructions to the procedure and the actual firmware files too. I specifically asked about a possibility to re-aqcuire that stuff from Japan. Impossible, they said.

Nikon Europe Central Service Dusseldorf, Germany. No problem, they said, send it over. The update is free but I'd had to pay 25 EUR shipping and handling. The camera arrived today and feels pretty snappy now and the better more contrasty menu colors in the display make a big difference too. Write time is about 2.8 sec per picture using a Lexar Pro and full buffer clears now 7 seconds faster. And I got all new grip rubbers FREE OF CHARGE.

Kudos to Nikon Germany!

Here's the antique team: D1H, D1X, D2X, D3X, D3S. Only D2H is missing because it was such a big step backwards in image quality from D1H that I sold it.

DSC_7524_pien.jpg