nikon af 50 mm 1.8 g lens defect

sasu82

Hi i'm suresh and I need a small clarification on this lens. I recently purchased a 50 mm 1.8 g prime lens. When I unboxed the lens I found 3 hairline kind on cracks in the plastic area in the inner ring that in right below the glass portion of the lens. Since all three cracks are similar I would like to know if the lens is designed to have such cracks for some reason or is it a real defect. It will be really great if someone can share their inputs on this.
Thanks in advance
suresh

rocketman122

Hi i'm suresh and I need a small clarification on this lens. I recently purchased a 50 mm 1.8 g prime lens. When I unboxed the lens I found 3 hairline kind on cracks in the plastic area in the inner ring that in right below the glass portion of the lens. Since all three cracks are similar I would like to know if the lens is designed to have such cracks for some reason or is it a real defect. It will be really great if someone can share their inputs on this.
Thanks in advance
suresh

Hi welcome. I dont think these are defective cracks but the lines are of the design. the lines are straight or defective curving cracks?

wornish

Welcome,
if they are really cracks then something isn't right.
but as others have said we need to see the marks.
I have this lens and I can't see any cracks on mine.

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Suresh, welcome to the forum. As I don't have this lens, I can only guess that what you are seeing is normal expansion groves built into the lens so it can adapt to a wider temperature range.

Now, you should be looking through the lens from behind the viewfinder, not the other way around, then, take pictures with the lens and then, see how great it is. :)

wornish

Suresh, welcome to the forum. As I don't have this lens, I can only guess that what you are seeing is normal expansion groves built into the lens so it can adapt to a wider temperature range.

Now, you should be looking through the lens from behind the viewfinder, not the other way around, then, take pictures with the lens and then, see how great it is. :)

I do have this lens and there are there are no expansion grooves on it. The only thing that is grooved is the rubberised focus ring.