Some advice to jump start the learning curve?

CharmedLife

Hi All,

I'm completely new to DSLR after years of the P&S. I really want to learn the craft of photography but am finding it overwhelming just looking at all the aspects of just the basics of taking good pictures. Do you all have any hints or book suggestions where to start? Which aspects would I start the learning process from easiest to hardest? I'm taking my camera everywhere I go and plan on keeping notes of what settings I use and when. Also, noting light and other things.

I've got a D3100 with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S Nikkor zoom lens. I have the cheat sheets that goes with them but I don't want to have to rely on them starting out. I'd like to learn the entire process.

Thanks!

J-see

I was new to DSLR too, at least the D part. For me the easiest method to understanding my gear was to simply try everything. Try and adjust every setting and don't be afraid to push the gear to the max. That way you learn fastest what works, what doesn't and what you like. I'm still learning each day.

I checked and read some online and while there's plenty of good advice, in the end you're doing what others do without experiencing the wrongs. Often bad pictures are more "illuminating" than good ones.

Of course if you're completely unfamiliar with photography, it doesn't hurt to learn the basics first.

Horoscope Fish

For starters I'm going to suggest The D3100 Digital Field Guide.This book will serve as a brief, easy-to-digest introduction to your camera and DSLR photography in general. The idea here is to get you up and running quickly on the basics of what your camera can do, and how to handle different shooting situations. It's like a really friendly, greatly expanded User Manual.

Step two would be a copy of something more detailed and more comprehensive like David Busch's D3100 Guide to Digital Photography.

Pretzel

A lot of local camera shops offer "basics" classes, where you'll not only learn about the Big 3 (ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed), but practice them with pointed assignments. That's where I would start, IMHO.

I've taken the intermediate class, and will soon be taking the advanced... but that basics class was the eye-opener that got it all flowing. We were lucky enough to have a very skilled photographer leading the class, complete with hands on instruction, assignments and critique. 2 hours each night, 1 night a week, 4 weeks total - best money I ever spent in regards to this love I've found in photography.

Use the cheat sheets BUT learn what they are telling you and more important learn WHY the settings are doing what they are doing. Don't try to learn everything all at the same time. It will only confuse you and frustrate you. Pick one thing or setting and practice with it till it becomes second nature. Go out and shoot in Shutter priority and use every shutter speed on the exact same shot just to see what happens. Do the same thing in aperture priority and see what difference it makes.
I did this in program mode with every ISO just to see how far I could go before the noise made the photo unusable. I have done the same with each camera I have had from the D3100 to my present D7100. It is a good exercise.

The most important advice I can give you in to not get so bogged down in the details that you aren't having fun shooting. When I am just going out to have fun I stick it in program with a minimum shutter speed set in the ISO and ISO to 100 / Auto with a max of 6400. When I am doing something more serious I pick the mode that the shot calls for from M to A to P to S. The only mode I never shoot in is Auto. The flash popping up when it wants to just drives me crazy.