Im in tears

Rtistik

So The d3200 is my first nice camera. I'm an amateur. I watched a Youtube video on the basics. It had me set my camera to RAW. I just took pics of my daughters Homecoming and put my memory card in the desktop. I saved the ones I wanted to share on Facebook to my pictures folder. When I shared them they came up tiny like a thumbnail. I did some research and installed a converter to change it to JPG but the pictures are still tiny. What can I do to make them larger? I also didn't realize dropping pics into a folder would remove them from the memory card!
I'm scared that I may never be able to print her beautiful pictures because when I upload to a photo ordering site it says the resolution is low. Thanks so much for helping!

480sparky

Convert the original images from .NEF to .JPG using the software that came with the camera. It will be either View NX2 or Capture NX-D.

If you haven't formatted or deleted the images on the card, they're still there. If you have, stop using the card until you recover them.

Last edited:

Rtistik

Thanks so much for replying!I haven't installed the software that came with my camera because the disc drive is broken :(

Eyelight

The software will help once you have the RAW files from the SD card. Nikon RAW files will end with the NEF extension. If you can see the NEF files on the SD card, copy them to a folder on the desktop. After you have the NEF files on the desktop, you can view, edit and convert them to JPEG using the Capture NXD software.

Bob Blaylock

So The d3200 is my first nice camera. I'm an amateur. I watched a Youtube video on the basics. It had me set my camera to RAW. I just took pics of my daughters Homecoming and put my memory card in the desktop. I saved the ones I wanted to share on Facebook to my pictures folder. When I shared them they came up tiny like a thumbnail. I did some research and installed a converter to change it to JPG but the pictures are still tiny. What can I do to make them larger? I also didn't realize dropping pics into a folder would remove them from the memory card!
I'm scared that I may never be able to print her beautiful pictures because when I upload to a photo ordering site it says the resolution is low. Thanks so much for helping!

If you haven't yet cleared the pictures off of the card, put the card back in the camera and look up the “NEF (RAW) processing” command. This command, in the camera, makes .JPGs out of .NEFs, allowing you to apply a number of adjustments in the process.

Eyelight

Thank you for your help, I'm dreading spending hours searching for the right video. I wish I had never shot RAW

If you don't have that many, you can use the camera's NEF Processing Menu to convert individual images to JPG. Check the manual for the specifics.

aroy

1. Download the View NX-II from Nikon Site
ViewNX 2 from Nikon
2. Install the software
3. Connect the camera to the computer using the USB cable supplied.
4. After a few seconds you will get a message that there is a new device. If it asks for default program, point it to View NX-II
5. Use View NX-II
. Transfer the *.NEF image to a separate directory
. View each image and decide if you want to process it further.
. Export the image to jpeg. If you want to just display it on the WEB, set the long edge to 1000 pixels.

If you have followed all the above steps successfully - congratulations, now you can handle RAW images.

For more editing options you can download View NX-D, or use other RAW processing programs to further enhance your images.