D810 Problem in exposure compensation

alex78

Does anyone experience problems with D810 exposure compensation in Manual mode? When in manual control, +/- compensation is not working, while when in Shutter or Apperture priority, it is working with no problem. Am I doing something wrong myself? Do I miss out something in the settings? Any idea anybody before returning it to Nikon?

PaulPosition

Exposure compensation only tells the camera you want it to try and shift exposure toward light or dark. The camera does this by varying aperture or speed (and if you're on auto ISO, ISO).

In (A)perture priority, where you've locked aperture to YOUR preferred setting, it will vary shutter speed.
In (S)peed priority, where you've locked shutter speed to your preferred value, it will vary aperture.
Now, what could it possibly change in (M)anual mode where both speed and aperture are under YOUR control? (Well, the light meter is what will change and that's it.)

rikman

um, Manual is exposure compensation....if I don't like the image, I change or"compensate" the exposure by moving my shutter/(aperture-usually leave it alone) in 1/3 stop increments...........

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Since it is in manual, it won't compensate for anything. I thought exposure compensation was explained in the owner's manual.

So you're not doing anything wrong and you don't want to return the camera to Nikon for that particular thing.