Printers

Mike150

It's about time I upgraded my printer (HP C5800) Mine has outlived two computers, and is working on it's third. It's also very inefficient on Ink. It uses a Tricolor and Black cartridge combination.

As I start my long quest in finding a new one, I'd like some ideas on what others are using, and maybe some Pros and cons.

My needs, are relatively open, however, my wife only prints 4x6 (being wifi compatable would also be nice).

Most printers I've looked at use the Tricolor cartridge which tends to be rather expensive, as well as a waste of ink. Is there an advantage to those with the individual color cartridges?

Although I'd like to be able to print large format, It is not really an important issue. If I find a photo I really like, I could have a large format printed professionally.

Of course, my ability to purchase one depends on how big a hole the Tax Man puts in my check book. I'm still waiting for the CPA to call.

Thanks in advance

Rick M

I just picked up a Canon MG6120 about a month ago on sale for $159, replacing my Canon pixma5000 which was an excellent printer. I think Canon makes the best low cost photo printers on the market. The MG6120 works wireless, but I use a cable.

The main point is it has 6 seperate ink cartriges, 2 Black, yellow, cyan, magenta, and most importantly, grey, which really helps with B&W. I upgraded just for the grey and it makes a diference. Very high definition printing as small as 1 picoliter droplets. You'll save alot of $ not throwing away unused ink in those tri-color cartriges.

I looked at wide bodies, but was not worth it to me since I rarely need to print beyond 8x10. They have a huge footprint also, some are 2 feet wide. I've seen these on craigslist and most people are selling because they don't use them much.

Link http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...photo_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mg6120

Last edited:

Joseph Bautsch

If you are looking for printer for friends and family scrap book that's a bit friendlier on the ink budget, Kodak makes one. Don't know anything about it but may be worth checking it out. I use the Epson R1900, but I use it to print up to 8x12 prints for contests and competitions.

fotojack

I still use an HP PSC 1610 for printing, scanning and copying. For photos, I use the HP Photosmart 7260. If you want to get a printer with the cheapest ink costs, it's definitely the Kodak. Nothing can touch it as far as ink costs go. For a true photo printer, I would use nothing less than an Epson.

Honestly, I love my Canon Pixma Pro 9000 for high quality prints. No matter the size, up to 13" x 19" (fits nicely into a 16" x 24" mat) or even the 4" x 6" print, it delivers up to 2400 ppi in print resolution.
I'm not going to say it's the cheapest on ink, nor am I going to say it's the best printer ever made, but we've sold a LOT of prints that came from that machine. You can find it (not the Mark II edition) on Craigslist, as most people buy it in a bundle with a Canon camera, and get some sort of rebate, then sell the printer pretty cheap.

Full 8-cartridge refill runs around $120, so you know, but several of the ink tanks don't need replacing for a LONG, LONG time. Some of the more popular ink tanks do, however.

Ruidoso Bill

Actually I was getting really tired of the ink cartridge prices and tried a Kodak, it has wifi and for prining up to 8 X 10 works quite well. Black is under $10 and Color is under $15. Get them on sale at wally world frequently. Kodak inks supposedly good for a lifetime.

My wife loves the printer also, most printers she has issues with but not this.

I do have access to a HP wide carriage printer for large stuff.