Wanting a new lens

picturegirl

I am thinking of purchasing a new lens, currently have the sigma 17-50 lens and am wondering if there is a better option for portrait and family shots?

Thanks

Lawrence

I have a feeling people will jump in here and tell you that a fast prime lens is the way to go.
Any of the 35mm, 50mm (nifty fifty) or 85mm f/1.8 primes will do - all depends on what distance you feel comfortable shooting.

Horoscope Fish

You might want to consider either the Nikon 85mm, or the Nikon 70-20mm, depending on if you want a prime lens or a zoom.

The 35mm and 50mm really aren't good choices for portraiture work. A portrait lens doesn't need to be "fast" but a comfortable and flexible working distance is nice to have and compression is your friend.

Last edited:

Lawrence

Good points Fish. I wasn't thinking!
Although a fast lens would help in indoor low light situations. (that is my weak defence)
Strangely enough I like my 70-300mm for portrait because of the compression and bokeh.

picturegirl

Thanks guys, I actually have a prime lens as well that I use for newborn shoots. I enjoy my sigma just wondering if there's something I'm missing I also have the 70-200 lens lol

Horoscope Fish

Well between your 17-50mm and your 70-200mm I'd say you're pretty well set. I guess what I'd need to know is, what is it your current lenses aren't doing for you?

Do you want better IQ, faster apertures or... ???

§am

List your lenses, what you use them for, and what you want a new lens for, oh and of course your budget.

That might help narrow down the kind of lens to recommend :)

singlerosa_RIP

I was quite happy shooting portraits with my 70-200 2.8 VRII until I got an 85 1.8. The 85 allows me to get closer and also shoot at 1.8 for better bokeh. Plus, it's less than 1/4 the weight. Now, I use both.

picturegirl

Thanks for all your responses they are helpful I have :
Nikkor 35mm 1.8 I use for newborn
Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 that I use for everything else and
Tamron 70-200 2.8 that I don't ever use because it's so heavy for me :/

I don't "feel" like I am missing out on anything I was just wondering if I had everything right and it seems like I'm pretty much there.
Thanks again

Bukitimah

98% of the time, my Tamron 17-50 is on my D300. I like ny AFD 50 f1.8 but when you need to be quick and shoot indoor, sometimes you can't get everything you want.

harleridr

Picturegirl,
Have you looked at Nikon's 35-70 2.8 d af this is quite a fine lens. No plastic all metal with a macro giving almost 1to1 with a t6 closeup lens