What...How did I over look this!!!

happlegate11

I have totally over looked this part of the Forum and although I hate to be critiqed how an I going to get better if I do not! I can already notice a huge difference in my photos from the beginning to now but still I would love some of your feed back on photos! Let me post one up and please honesty is the best policy right?!!:rolleyes:
View attachment 2499 DSC_0249.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled-5.jpg
    Untitled-5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 211

JoeLewisPhotography

first one is great. I like the color effect you did on it, almost looks vintage (assuming you did that on purpose lol). The second one is so crisp. You are drawn right to the eyes, and its a beautiful subject to boot :) My only critique is for the second one...I would just like to see a bit more of the top of her head. Her headband and flower are too close to the top of the photo....after your eyes leave her eyes, they move straight up to that part, and its a bit distracting. Great job though!

Joseph Bautsch

I agree with Joe. The first shot is very good. It's difficult to get good expressions on three people at the same time but you hit this one spot on. I also agree, don't cut off the top of the head, distracting. Another point when shooting a single person head and shoulders use a vertical format, portrait, rather than horizontal it works better with the composition. That is a wonderful expression on the face. Definitely a keeper.

Rick M

I agree with Joe and Joesph, Both terrific shots, but the second shot would have benifited from retaining the top of the childs' head.

fotojack

Just to be a little different on the second shot.......I found it to be a little too bright on the right side of her face. Just a little, mind you. Not too much. I think a little more definition would make it stand out even more than it does now. If I may, this is what I mean:

View attachment 2504

Vermontster

The expressions on the subjects in the first photo make this a great shot for me. The only critique I have is the skin tones blend into the background. The lady's neck seems to disappear. I also agree with Jack that the second photo facial features were a little to bright. The changes that Jack suggested really made a difference.

Hope these comments were helpful.

Chris

Browncoat

The first photo is a candid shot, so we snap away hoping to capture a moment. And while I agree that the facial expressions are great, I also see a little girl's green undies because her legs are open. Just saying. While some hair in the face is usually okay in candids like this one, the same little girl has the illusion of a mustache, which could easily be edited.

On the post processing, I personally think it's not necessary. The retro/vintage look is becoming a defacto treatment, especially by younger female photographers. Not criticizing you personally, Heather. It's just that 9 out of 10 images posted by your peers wherever they are on the internet, look just like this photo. Either that, or it's a high-key treatment with blown out highlights.

happlegate11

Thank everyone! Really appreciate it. Anthony..those aren't her undies ;) They are part of her skirt and she has leggings under them. I try and tell Moms if they want their little's in a skirt make sure there is some sort of covering on the undergarments. I really appreciate all the feed back. I totally agree that the girls was a little bright...and yes I do seem to lean toward retro photo processing, but mostly because that is what the client asks me for. As for my lens I use the Non-AF 50mm f1.4 for 98% of any of my shots. Sometimes I curse not having Auto Focus but not having it has taught me A LOT!

Last edited by a moderator:

happlegate11

Sorry i just read the rules part of the forum...I'm not much for reading rules LOL. Sorry I uploaded two..don't know why the one is on twice. Thank you again for all the feed back. I'm a sensitive person but I realize that if I want to grow I need criticism from other photographers!! So a giant THANK YOU!! I may become addicted to this part of the site...so please tell me to STOP if I get carried away. :) Love this site and Love reading everyone's thoughts and opinions and seeing everyone's photos!