Will the 1.3 crop damage my sensor

mikew_RIP

I know it wont in normal occasional use but i use it 95% of the time,do sensors change with time and use am i likely to see a difference in that crop area,done about 7000 shots now in crop and only a few hundred in full sensor,any thoughts ie do i need to run a few hundred shots on full sensor every so often.

SkvLTD

It's not like you're burning 30s exposures left and right, so it should be fine. It was designed to have the feature after all. And if anything, you have your warranty.

mikew_RIP

I had read a piece somewhere with the theory a sensor matured :D and changed with use,this made me wonder if it would show after 30 or 40000 exposures,most likley after the warranty period had expired,i can see what you mean about long exposures though.

Felisek

There is no physical mask cutting off the cropped area on the sensor. In the crop mode the entire sensor is exposed when the shutter is open, just like in the normal mode. The difference is in the read-out process. Only the smaller area is read in the cropped mode, which gives smaller amount of data and higher speed. But from the point of view of the pixels in the sensor, there is no difference between the normal and cropped mode.

BackdoorArts

It's not like you're turning part of the sensor "off", you're just filtering telling the outside edge, "Thanks for the data, but I don't need it".

Yes, you're hurting your sensor.

Well, OK, you're not. But you might be hurting the outside edge's feelings. ;)