Purple streak in photos - help!

Alistair

Hello all.

A little help please. About three weeks ago I took a photo using a 3-stop ND filter, during the day, and noticed on a darker part of the image that there was a slight purple streak of colour.

Tonight, I used a 10-stop filter (a different brand, too) at 30 seconds and noticed the colouring you'll see in the attachment on this thread.

The fact that I used two different types of ND filter tells me that it isn't this that's to blame. It could be the lens, as I haven't tested another lens.

Or.....my D7100 could be broken!!

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_8305.jpg
    DSC_8305.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 118

480sparky

Cover up the camera's viewfinder when you take long exposures. This is light coming in from there and making it's way to the sensor. The camera will come with a small plastic cap for this purpose.

Alistair

Aha....thank you Sparky....do you know what, I've never used this simple piece of kit! And it's never even entered my mind to use it, either!! It's here somewhere, I'll have to try and find it (or I'll make something to cover the view-finder if I can't find it).

I'm just glad that the camera isn't broken!

480sparky

Many times, I'll just hang the front lens cap off the VF if it will set there. Or hold my flat hand right behind the VF if the time isn't too long.

Alistair

Good suggestions. Thinking about it now, it's an obvious source of light entering the camera, but it had never, ever occurred to me!

Horoscope Fish

Your "Big, Dumb Photographers Hat" (you DO have one, right?) or a lens cloth will work as well. But Sparky is spot on with the diagnosis, that's classic viewfinder light leak if I've ever seen it. And I have... I have seen it.

Vixen

Happened to me when I got my ND100 filter. I thought the filter was faulty :D.....I now know what that little bit of plastic that came with the camera is for :D

Alistair

Hahah, nope I ain't got one of those hats, but I think I deserve one now!!! :D
I'm just absolutely relieved that the camera's actually working properly. Just a shame its owner isn't.

adox66

It is a bit of a pain to be honest. Never had any light leak with my D3200 so was surprised when it happened when I first got the D7100.