Printing Your Photos at a Walgreens, Wal-Mart, etc.

Smoke

The question I have is, how likely is it possible that a worker in one of these big stores (Wal-Mart, Walgreens, Sam's Club, Costco) print one or many of your photos for themselves? When you order the photo online, it's on their computer. Also, today I ordered a 20x30 poster that I took at Steelers training camp. When I went to pick it up, she said that she had to print it over because the first one "didn't come out right".....just curious if they can keep the file for themselves and print off hundreds of copies if they want to.

Phillydog1958

I'd say that it's possible . . . I just printed out several at Walgreen's yesterday and I'm getting a few more made today. I get your point. The kid at Walgreen's asked me if I was a professional and made me fill out a form that they keep on record. He liked the photos and probably could make copies, but I doubt it. First off, I'm not that good and secondly they're not supposed to and I assume they won't. ;)

weebee

I'd say that it's possible . . . I just printed out several at Walgreen's yesterday and I'm getting a few more made today. I get your point. The kid at Walgreen's asked me if I was a professional and made me fill out a form that they keep on record. He liked the photos and probably could make copies, but I doubt it. First off, I'm not that good and secondly they're not supposed to and I assume they won't. ;)

What type of form was it?

Bill16

They likely could and might even run a copy for themselves if they really liked it well enought to risk trying to cover up doing it from their boss. But I doubt any of them would likely try to run off a ton of copies to sell, since then they could be sued heavily along with the store. The person might even go to jail for stealing from you and/or the store. Not tho mention, the store's reputation would drop if it got out.

Bill16

I've just been buying a few prints at nations photo lab, but I have yet to buy any reasonably priced normal prints yet. I've tried the metallic and I'm trying a couple luster or something like that. Not cheap 10"×15" prints with backing at about $10.00 per copy plus $7.00 shipping.
As far as them making extra copies? It's possible, but I think it's very unlikely. :)

weebee

Probably a form stating he's the copyright owner.

Just wondering because I've had prints made at Walmart, Walgreens, and adoramo photo without signing a form. Are we implying that these store determine there is a copyright infringement at risk because they like the photo?

480sparky

Just wondering because I've had prints made at Walmart, Walgreens, and adoramo photo without signing a form. Are we implying that these store determine there is a copyright infringement at risk because they like the photo?

Training the photo kiosk staff properly for copyright infringement is, at best, spotty and typically incorrect.

Bill16

Just walk in there carrying your DSLR with your largest lens on it, and that might work! They might started asking you to sign forms then! Lol :)

Training the photo kiosk staff properly for copyright infringement is, at best, spotty and typically incorrect.

RON_RIP

All of this is exactly why i decided some time back that if i do not print it it does not get printed. That way, no worries.

Bob Blaylock

I recall that as a plot point in the Robin Williams movie One Hour Photo — Williams' character develops an obsession with a particular family, and is fired from his job when it is discovered that the “click count” on the photo-printing equipment is too high, as a result of him making extra copies of this family's prints for himself.

weebee

I recall that as a plot point in the Robin Williams movie One Hour Photo — Williams' character develops an obsession with a particular family, and is fired from his job when it is discovered that the “click count” on the photo-printing equipment is too high, as a result of him making extra copies of this family's prints for himself.[/QUOTE

That was a good movie. Robin did a fantastic job.

Sandpatch

Many years ago an employee at a Kodak lab was busted for copying Kodachrome slides of railroad subjects. It started simply enough, but he couldn't contain his greed and as his volume of stolen images grew, he mixed up images. Photographers thought it odd that they got train shots, but not THEIR train shots. Letters of complaint were written, Kodak traced back to the lab and the employee, who admitted guilt. Not sure what happened from there.