New member in Texas

2tcreative

I just joined this forum to gain more information on the Nikon digital SLR and lens world. I have owned Nikon back in the film days. Everything from Nikon F up through various F3's. Have had a wide varieties of Nikkor F lenses as well. Then moved to Canon for the autofocus and my last one was the Canon 5dMk2. Several L lenses. But sold it all and moved to the Sony NEX system (ha!). The camera is great but lens selection is very poor. Thought the EVF would be fine but in the bright Texas sunlight it drives me crazy! So looking at Nikon, specifically the D7100 and the 17-55mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Nikkor. Any help in making my decision would be greatly appreciated!

My work can be seen here: Envisage.

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

I've only recently moved to the D7100, but don't have experience with the 17-55mm f/2.8G. The camera body is great, and I've appreciated the additional control that I didn't have with the D5300 (or didn't have as easily since the lack of the second command dial pushed me into the LCD menu more).

Whereabouts in Texas are ya?

WayneF

Welcome to the forum! The D7100 is the current ultimate in the DX bodies, what's not to like? :) It has all the features, anything you are likely to want. The f/2.8 Nikon lenses are exceptional too. There are not many DX f/2.8, but reports are that this one is very good too.

2tcreative

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites!

I've only recently moved to the D7100, but don't have experience with the 17-55mm f/2.8G. The camera body is great, and I've appreciated the additional control that I didn't have with the D5300 (or didn't have as easily since the lack of the second command dial pushed me into the LCD menu more).

Whereabouts in Texas are ya?

I live just east of Dallas in the little town of Forney. Been there 35 years. Guess it is home now!!

I work primarily in landscapes/cityscapes, both color and black/white. I also do a lot of post processing to create some abstractions as well. The 16mp of the NEX-6 has given me good IQ and I have printed as large as 30x40 with it, but I like the idea of no low pass filter on the sensor that the D7100 has. Thoughts on that? I believe the sensor is very similar to the NEX-7, A6000 and A77II.

RocketCowboy

I know Forney, I'm in East Dallas by White Rock Lake, so just down 80/30 from ya.

I'm a fan of the sharpness with the D7100. Before moving to the 7100, I was weighing options and had considered the D610 for full frame and wider lens options, but ultimately decided to stay DX with the D7100 and see how some of the FX models develop. I do have the DX 10-24mm lens, but mostly because I got tired of waiting for the Tokina 11-16mm to show up for me to look at.

I don't have much knowledge of the Sony environment to make comparisons, but would recommend checking out the Best of D7100 thread in the D7100 sub forum here for some examples of what the D7100 is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodyg3

Contributor
With the 24 mp of the D7100, I find the limiting factor to be lens sharpness and my technique, and have never had an issue with the shapness from the sensor. I can't say how it stacks up to a D810 full frame, but I've yet to feel the D7100 was limiting me. Low light might be the exception, here, since the full frame cameras seem to produce less noise in low light.

Anyway, welcome to Nikonites!

2tcreative

I know Forney, I'm in East Dallas by White Rock Lake, so just down 80/30 from ya.

I'm a fan of the sharpness with the D7100. Before moving to the 7100, I was weighing options and had considered the D610 for full frame and wider lens options, but ultimately decided to stay DX with the D7100 and see how some of the FX models develop. I do have the DX 10-24mm lens, but mostly because I got tired of waiting for the Tokina 11-16mm to show up for me to look at.

I don't have much knowledge of the Sony environment to make comparisons, but would recommend checking out the Best of D7100 thread in the D7100 sub forum here for some examples of what the D7100 is capable of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the short cut off St. Francis to go through Forest Hills to Garland Road, so know the White Rock Lake area quite well! You have some good subject matter around that area I would think. Do you participate in the art shows at the Bath House?

I saw the Tokina 11-16 at Arlington Camera today. Or is there a newer version you are waiting on? I understand it has very good reviews.

RocketCowboy

I use the short cut off St. Francis to go through Forest Hills to Garland Road, so know the White Rock Lake area quite well! You have some good subject matter around that area I would think. Do you participate in the art shows at the Bath House?

I saw the Tokina 11-16 at Arlington Camera today. Or is there a newer version you are waiting on? I understand it has very good reviews.

You know, we've been talking about needing to make the shows at the Bath House, but we haven't made any yet. Good reminder to track down the schedule and make sure we have it on the calendar.

There are two versions of the 11-16 ... with and without the internal focus motor. The D7100 works with either, but my older D5300 needed the Dxii version with the motor. I had been waiting for Wolf Camera to get one in, since they supposedly had them on order, but all they received were Canon mounts. Wolf Camera recently moved from their old location on NW Highway to somewhere closer to SMU. We noticed the other night when driving to dinner with my wife that the NW Hwy location was cleaned out. Supposedly, they'll have more inventory at the new location and were going to try and keep pro gear in stock, but who knows. I haven't made it over to Arlington Camera yet.