Desperately need help w the live view!

ronlin

Hey all!

So i have a nikon d5200 that used to be able to display on monitor of what exactly i am going to capture. By saying that, what i meant was that i can see that the display is changing its exposure/brightness as i changes the shutterspeed/ apperture/ iso.

However, recently for i do not know what reason (probably some settings being changed accidently, my monitor would only display a fixed brightness/exposure that is fairly bright. No matter how dark my settings are (for example of F3.5 ISO 100 SS 1/2000).

The fault is definitely not in the shutter spd, iso, and apperture because they are all working fine. Whenever a picture is capture, the settings made would always apply, the picture will always come out how it should be. Whether high exposed or not.

So the problem here is that i couldn't know of how the picture i'm about to take would look like until after i've taken it and view it in the play icon.

Hopefully anyone out there would be able to help me thank you!

ronlin

My mode is currently on the "M", and i've always been using "M". Any idea how to rectify my problem with that Mode Dial? Or any other ways.

Horoscope Fish

My mode is currently on the "M", and i've always been using "M". Any idea how to rectify my problem with that Mode Dial? Or any other ways.
Okay, so as I understand it, you're shooting in Live View, using Manual mode and what you're seeing on the LCD is overexposed no matter what aperture/shutter speed combination you set.

Is this correct?

ronlin

Okay, so as I understand it, you're shooting in Live View, using Manual mode and what you're seeing on the LCD is overexposed no matter what aperture/shutter speed combination you set.

Is this correct?

Yes exactly! but it is not overexposed, it is just fairly bright, maybe the ideal brightness of any selfie. And yes it's just what i'm seeing on the monitor, not what i'm capturing, the captured picture would always looked right, going with the applied aperture/ss/iso.

Horoscope Fish

Yes exactly! but it is not overexposed, it is just fairly bright, maybe the ideal brightness of any selfie. And yes it's just what i'm seeing on the monitor, not what i'm capturing, the captured picture would always looks right with the applied aperture/ss/iso.
Okay, so the pictures are properly exposed but the LCD image appears a little too bright. Sounds like you need to adjust the LCD brightness...

Do that by pressing and holding the Exposure Compensation button while turning the Command Wheel back and forth. This will change the brightness of the LCD.

ronlin

Okay, so the pictures are properly exposed but the LCD image appears a little too bright. Sounds like you need to adjust the LCD brightness...

Do that by pressing and holding the Exposure Compensation button while turning the Command Wheel back and forth. This will change the brightness of the LCD.

Hmmm, not sure if i'm wrong or not but apparently there's nothing to do with the exposure compensation as it is already 0 when i checked.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Yes exactly! but it is not overexposed, it is just fairly bright, maybe the ideal brightness of any selfie. And yes it's just what i'm seeing on the monitor, not what i'm capturing, the captured picture would always looked right, going with the applied aperture/ss/iso.

Turn off auto Iso. set the desired iso, aperture, if the monitor is still bright, turn off live view and adjust shutter speed.

turn on live view and check. adjust as necessary but live view must be turned off on certain camera models before the correct exposure takes effect

Glenn
Caution: Typos may occur randomly.

Horoscope Fish

Hmmm, not sure if i'm wrong or not but apparently there's nothing to do with the exposure compensation as it is already 0 when i checked.
Press and hold the Exposure Compensation button and turn the wheel. Does this not adjust the brightness of the LCD, because it should. It will not affect exposure in Manual mode.

ronlin

Turn off auto Iso. set the desired iso, aperture, if the monitor is still bright, turn off live view and adjust shutter speed.

turn on live view and check. adjust as necessary but live view must be turned off on certain camera models before the correct exposure takes effect

Glenn
Caution: Typos may occur randomly.

:/ doesnt work, still the same.

ronlin

Press and hold the Exposure Compensation button and turn the wheel. Does this not adjust the brightness of the LCD, because it should. It will not affect exposure in Manual mode.

Well it does adjust the brightness of the lcd as i tried. However that still didn't help much because it is not showing the exact exposure of the picture that i'm going to capture as it did in the past.

ronlin

Hey guys i've found the answer, thx for all the responses, appreciated it !!!!

Go to Shooting Menu --> Movie Settings --> Manual movie settings --> ON

You will notice that the live view mode behaves differently depending on how you have set the manual video control on menu...
if it is set to "off" then you can change everything (even the aperture) in live view but it wont have a real time affect on the screen until you switch off and on to live view or until you take one photo...
if you set it to "on" then you can't change the aperture (unless you go off live view, change and came back) but you can change speed (but with a lower end 1/30 or 1/50 depending on the video frame rate you have set on) and iso with real time affect on screen...

via: https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikon_...7632880872502/