Third stop more, third stop less?

SkvLTD

So thinking of getting one of the 50s to own a low-light piece without attempting to home-brew my 50/2 H to Ai (though not a bad thought either, and isn't extremely difficult for me).

So, grab a 50/1.8D locally for $100 and call it a day.
Ebay 50/1.4D and call it a day.
BestBuy 1.8G and call it a day.

Or perhaps ebay a 35/2D for something slightly more versatile.

I feel 1/3 of stop won't make a crucial difference in low light, but why not have a widest possible AF lens at the same time, right?

Or give up on AF with these and aim for the 50/1.2 Ai as that is the most unique one of them all? (Maybe sharpie Noct on it for kicks?)

aroy

Most of the wider lenses are less sharp at higher apertures. So if you do not shoot at 1.2 or 1,4 regularly, a 1.8 would be a better buy.

singlerosa_RIP

My vote is for the 50 1.4D. I've had one for years, used it on film and digital (DX and FX) with great results. The first picture I took when my D600 arrived was with the fifty....

DSC_0178.jpg

WayneF

So thinking of getting one of the 50s to own a low-light piece without attempting to home-brew my 50/2 H to Ai (though not a bad thought either, and isn't extremely difficult for me).

So, grab a 50/1.8D locally for $100 and call it a day.
Ebay 50/1.4D and call it a day.
BestBuy 1.8G and call it a day.

Or perhaps ebay a 35/2D for something slightly more versatile.

I feel 1/3 of stop won't make a crucial difference in low light, but why not have a widest possible AF lens at the same time, right?

f/1.4 vs f/1.8 is two thirds stops.

But autofocus on your D5100 requires an AF-S lens. The D600 can focus the D or G lens.

SkvLTD

Guess the G it is, or perhaps the D since this will hardly be a daily driver for me (nor do I have any D ones, so I'm very curious about the feel).