D7100 firmware update

Ron Carlson

Ya, I seen the same thing. I heard some rumors in the past that Nikon was going to start firmware updates to basically wipe out 3rd party lenses. Has anyone heard this rumor? Anyone have any concrete evidence that this may happen some time in the future? Or even now?

John P

That wouldn't suprise me. My son shoots Panasonic cameras. They did a firmware update on his camera three years ago. It made 3rd party batteries useless in his camera.

Felisek

I don't think distortion control could "wipe out" third party lenses. Distortion control applies only to Nikkor lenses when creating in-camera JPEGs. A third party lens is not affected.

Yes, I suppose it is possible to change the camera firmware in such way that it would refuse to work with anything but Nikkor. However, if Nikon did this, it would cause a huge uproar from many Nikon users and seriously damaged the brand name. They might make third party lens manufacturers lives difficult, but I doubt they would ever "wipe them out".

zain

For RAW shooter like myself, the in-camera distortion correction will not make any impact I suppose and I am using Lightroom to process the RAW images. It may not be true if I am using Nikon's own Nikon Capture though. Can anybody confirm my statement above?

Horoscope Fish

Just with your Sigma lenses? Or all lenses?
Can't be sure with my Nikon lenses but I think maybe a little faster? I'm not sure. Having played a little more last night it seems the Nikon lenses are better at finding focus lock in low light though. My 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6 sure seemed to be doing better in that regard.

I could write this all off to wishful thinking, or the placebo effect, if it weren't for the noticeable difference with the Sigma's -- which is unmistakable. While the AF on the Sigma's has never been sluggish, now it SNAPS to focus lock. Or... Maybe I'm crazy. If my observations are correct, I'm sure I won't be the only one that notices it.

Horoscope Fish

If this is true, I'll be a happy camper.
Okay well it makes me feel better that at least one other person (over on Nikon Rumors) concurs with me about getting better low-light focus lock when using their 35mm f/1.8G on their D7100 and a second-hand report of another Sigma user getting faster AF; so I don't think I'm completely nuts. At least not yet...

Felisek

Well, I did the update a moment ago. I put my Sigma 17-50 on and refocused between a short distance and infinity several times, just to feel the speed. Then, I updated the camera and tried the focussing again. I'm sorry to report, but I cannot see any difference. It feels exactly the same.

Horoscope Fish, did you also install the new version of lens correction data?

ecto

Just got this camera. I have version 1.01 on the camera. Should I take the lens off the camera and just to the update with the body?
Do the lenses need to be updated too? I have a Nikon 18-140 and Nikon 55-300 both with version 1.009 .

Felisek

You update the firmware and lens data stored in your camera body. You don't updated lenses. It doesn't matter whether the lens is on the camera when you do the update. You will need a fully charged battery, though.

DMnikon

I see you mention that your Sigma lenes worked fine after the update (better actually). I have the the Sigma 17-70 and i have read reports of auto focus problems. Do you happen to have that particular lens?? (Sigma 17-70 mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm).