Sports setting recommendations?

ecto

I am on my second day having the 7100 and it there is so much to learn. Thank goodness for this forum!
I will be setting up some customer settings today with U1 and U2.
Any suggestions for sports settings? I had read to go with AFC and D9 for the auto focus for sports?
I would appreciate your thoughts.

Horoscope Fish

I agree completely with AF-C (or AF-A). Dynamic 9 point is fine for subjects that are moving on a very predictable path and moving at moderate speed. If you have lightning fast reflexes, I guess it would be fine for fast moving sporting events as well. If you're a reflexes are mortal, however, and/or your subject is going to be moving fast, or changing directions suddenly, I'd opt for D21.

Further, I'd use Aperture Priority, turn on Auto ISO and give it the full range from ISO 100 to ISO 6400 or set it to Auto and then crank the minimum shutter speed slider all the way to right ("Faster"). Keeping your shutter speed at twice the focal length is going to be critical if you want sharp focus so if you're shooting at 200mm your bare minimum shutter speed is going to need to be 1/400. For fast action sports, assuming you want really clean stop action, you're probably going to want to be shooting at shutter speeds around 1/500 or so. It kind of depends...

What sports exactly are you going to be shooting? I would approach a swim meet a little differently than I would a rugby match, if you know what I mean.

Also, don't feel like every shot has to have totally clean stop-action... Introduce a little motion blur to add a feeling of motion to the shot. A little motion blur can add a real dynamic to sports photography that absolute stop-action lacks. "Frozen" sports shots are fine, but jeez... Mix it up a little, experiment, push yourself to get something with some "WOW Factor".

Last edited:

Krs_2007

You can look at my pictures for examples if you want. But my U1 is af-c, 9 points and I manually set aperture and ISO. I also have all auto features like noise reduction and such turned off. Sometimes I use auto-ISO if the light is continuing to change like clouds moving around and such. There is also a focus delay you have to be careful with so double check the manual for your settings. I primarily shoot baseball and football with my indoor sports being wrestling. Now for volleyball you are really going to need a fast lens like 1.8 or 2.8 or you will have to crank the ISO up to compensate. D7100 shouldn't be problem cranking the ISO up a bit, you just need to figure out the limitations for your shooting environment.

sorry for the poor formating, typing on a tablet.

with sports the closer you can get the better and I don't mean cropping the picture. You have to move your feet and get as close as possible.

beebrasil

I would agree with krs. The less decisions the camera makes, the quicker it response to things like focus tracking.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Scott Murray

Ok I am going to be rude here...

What do you want to achieve? Freeze a person, slightly blur and arm or have slight movement in the ball?

You want everything in focus or the player 'popped' out of the frame?

If you want any of these then its multiple choices and multiple shots. I could say this will work for this but honestly it mostly will not, trial and error and knowing what A/S/ISO does will help you and also the correlation with shutter speed and aperture, shutter speed and ISO, ISO and noise, etc will help you.