Are there any reasons why I should buy D610 or D800 instead of Sony A7?

adamandbean

Hello,
I have a D7000 and one Sigma 15mm fisheye lens. I am going to either stick with Nikon and buy D800 or D610 and a couple of good lenses or switch over to Sony A7. I want to get into full size sensors. Also, I don't have too much invested in Nikon at this stage. I was also waiting to see the next Nikon at Photokina. What are the reasons for going with D610 or D800?

Thanks for your input,

Adam

Horoscope Fish

Hello,
I have a D7000 and one Sigma 15mm fisheye lens. I am going to either stick with Nikon and buy D800 or D610 and a couple of good lenses or switch over to Sony A7. I want to get into full size sensors. Also, I don't have too much invested in Nikon at this stage. I was also waiting to see the next Nikon at Photokina. What are the reasons for going with D610 or D800?

Thanks for your input,

Adam
Well those are three pretty darn different cameras and it's hard for me to compare them... Two of the issues *I* have with the mirrorless format right now is the very limited lens selection and the battery life which is less than half what I get on my DSLR. There are arguments for against everything and I've already heard them: how the lens market will expand and how I could just carry spare batteries etc. It just doesn't work for me. I very much like having a huuuge variety of lenses from several manufacturers, an endless market of used lenses to tap into et cetera. In a few years time I might be considering the mirrorless format but not until the platform has had some time to mature.

aroy

1. Excess disposable income.
2. G.A.S.
3. One up on your neighbour or peers.

Jokes aside,
. Ultimately it is the lenses that matter. Bodies may come and go, but lenses generally stay a long time. Nikon has many more lenses at all price points than Sony, and they are in general cheaper for the same build/quality.
. FF will give you less noise and wider "Wide Angle" images.
. Unless you want to print large, DF with its 16MP sensor is not only better at high ISO, but can meter and utilize "A" and "S" modes with all Nikon F mount lenses, may be a better buy.

DraganDL

@AdamAndTheAnts: don't know about the reasons for buying D800 or D610, but I do know about at least ONE reason for NOT to buy A7. The reason is: it's Sony. Crappy cameras, just like Samsung's, but more expensive...

spyderdos

Sony A7 is a fx mirrorless camera so its dificult to compare with an slr for that matter..... I am a d610 user. I have tried using the sony for a few times and i had a difficult time changing settings since u need to go to the menu compared to the slr's where everything is practically at the tip of your fingers.

And the worse thing with the sony is you need to have at least a minimum of 2 batteries to use for one day.
My friend who owns a sony A7 says he went to travel for 3 days and brought along 5 batteries just so he wont miss the opportunity...
Batteries are also xpensive aside from the limited lenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Sony A7 is a fx mirrorless camera so its dificult to compare with an slr for that matter..... I am a d610 user. I have tried using the sony for a few times and i had a difficult time changing settings since u need to go to the menu compared to the slr's where everything is practically at the tip of your fingers.

A7's are very customizable....no problem with A7's

And the worse thing with the sony is you need to have at least a minimum of 2 batteries to use for one day.
My friend who owns a sony A7 says he went to travel for 3 days and brought along 5 batteries just so he wont miss the opportunity...
Batteries are also xpensive aside from the limited lenses

batteries are just as expensive as Nikon's....@Horoscope Fish talked me into getting Wasabi's this time around for half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main thing I've had to get used to is the EVF, which will slow you down when you go to take the 2nd and 3rd shots unless you are set for continuous shooting. All in all, I will say that Sony makes a great camera. I do agree though that they are still developing their mirrorless brand...mainly the A7(r)(s). It's gonna take some time to get all the lenses I would want in the future. I have saved myself some money though by buying Sony.

Panza

Nikon has more lenses available that you can probably find used and for cheaper than the current line up of FE lenses (E series Full Frame). There are only 6? FE lenses available at the moment. You could use other Sony lenses but that may or may not crop your images. The fastest FE Sony Lenses are the 35mm prime at f/2.8 and the 18-55mm at f/1.8. If you wanted a more versatile range the 28-70 and 70-200 would appear to be a great choice. In terms of aperture, the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and the 70-200mm f/4, I would rate it slightly behind the seemingly endless line up of Nikon lenses.

In my opinion, the Sony looks far sexier and seems to be more convenient. I'm a great fan of mirrorless cameras, lighter weight, sleek design with the body weighing in at 474g (453g = 1lbs) vs Nikon D610 at 850g body. Sony a7 also has wifi connectivity so if these photos are going directly to media and not for editing or (semi) professional use, I'd go with the a7 due to portability and ease of uploading. I hate wires.

Last edited:

photogramps

A S/H D800 would be a great buy now as prices have fallen but you will need good glass to get the best from it.
A D610 is a useful camera but not as solid and less spec than the D800 so it depends what you will use it for.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Hello,

Thanks for your input,

Adam

Adam - what are your interest with the Sony A7? What makes you consider it?

adamandbean

Sorry about the late reply.
Thanks to everyone who replied-sorry I am not addressing you all individually.
The only reasons I am considering a sony a7 is below:
1)compactness and 2) full-frame sensor
That is it. I love my Nikon d7000 but do get a bit tired lugging it around when on holidays and travelling. I have a sigma 15mm fisheye on it so the total weight is 900 grams. Having said that, an a7 with a 28-70 would be around 600-650 grams so it is not really that much different.

Adam

SkvLTD

Only reason to even consider 7R is if you're heavily invested into a variety of manual focus lenses since right now, 7R is the best platform for accurate focus and results using lens adapters and so on. Not having a huge stock of MF glass, might as well stick to the best and invest into whatever will fit your budget.