Nikon bodies with the lowest incidences of dust spots?

paul85224

Just wondering, based on everyone's experience, which Nikon bodies tend to be the most dust free?

I will be in the market for a new body to replace my D200 at some point.

weebee

I had dust in my 3100 a few times that removed quickly with a blower. I have yet to have a issue with my 7100. The engagement between the lenses and body is tighter on this camera.

Horoscope Fish

I really doubt there is any significant correlation between sensor dust and camera body. Getting schmutz on the sensor is going to happen, it just is. And, not to put too fine a point on it but, the sooner you come to terms with that idea the better off you'll be. Anecdotal reports of people going forever without their camera's sensor getting dirty are a moot point because nothing indicates your experience will match theirs. Learning to do routine maintenance on your equipment is part of the education you'll get when come down off the porch and run with the big dogs.

Deleted

Just wondering, based on everyone's experience, which Nikon bodies tend to be the most dust free?

I will be in the market for a new body to replace my D200 at some point.

Assuming that you want to stay with DX, the D7100 would seem to be the logical choice & in addition it doesn't seem to be afflicted by any controversies. :D

aroy

I really doubt there is any significant correlation between sensor dust and camera body. Getting schmutz on the sensor is going to happen, it just is. And, not to put too fine a point on it but, the sooner you come to terms with that idea the better off you'll be. Anecdotal reports of people going forever without their camera's sensor getting dirty are a moot point because nothing indicates your experience will match theirs. Learning to do routine maintenance on your equipment is part of the education you'll get when come down off the porch and run with the big dogs.

I agree. Even if you have never taken the lense off in the lifetime of ownership, you may have dust accumulating on the sensor. On the other hand if the environment is dust free you may never get any dust even after a thousand lense changes.

Modern bodies can get rid of normal dust by vibrating the sensor, where that collects is a moot point, but unless there is moisture/oil with dust it rarely sticks.

BackdoorArts

Every body outside of the D600 that has never left the box.

Pardon me, but holy crap, this is getting ridiculous!!!

Every body that ever gets a lens put on it and used will get dust.

The D600 is the only recent Nikon with a systemic issue with a dirty sensor, and that had more to do with a bad shutter mechanism than "dust". Every other thread about it has more to do with owner panic and ignorance to what caused the D600 issue than any real problem whatsoever.

If you're looking to replace your Nikon and are worried about dirty sensors don't get a D600. Otherwise, whatever you get you can expect similar sensor cleanliness to that of your current camera. Just how good that is depends on personal cleanliness habits and how you use your camera, and probably nothing else.

Last edited:

Bill16

Aside from the fact that any camera that has interchangeable lenses will get some dust sooner or later, the D90 is a great little Nikon, and fun to use! I had one myself! :)
But I would recommend the D300 over the D90, for the totally pro body and functions. But either Nikon is a good model, and two of my favorite DX models so far! :)

They both have the built in focus motor which gives you a much larger selection of lenses to choose from that will auto focus on either of these two Nikon models! :)

Well whatever model you choose, I hope you'll have a blast with it! :D

Thanks...I am hoping to stay with the DX line of bodies and am looking closely at the D90.