How important is TTL metering in your opinion?

jbsmyth

Background info: I have manual prime lenses dating back to the film era, an AF Nikkor 35-105 zoom, as well as a 18-55mm AF-S 3.5-5.5 zoom lens. My only digital body currently is an old D50 from years ago, it has served me well but is long in the tooth. I have been researching different camera body options ( on a budget), have seen many recommendations for the D3200. However I have read that only the D200, D300 and higher end bodies can utilitze metering on AI/AI-S lenses. Some people said metering is not a big deal, they just look at the histogram and adjust. Should I look for a body that can meter with older lenses like the D200/D300, or get a more recent body like the D3200 which cannot meter with AIS lenses?

I realize opinions will differ, I am interested to hear all sides. Should I keep my old manual lenses or get rid of them and look at getting AF-S lenses in the future?

aroy

The only body which does both aperture priority and shutter priority with AIS lenses is the DF. The other bodies will meter in aperture priority mode only. In the D3xxx and D5xxx bodies you can use AIS lenses in purely manual mode only. I have a D3300 and use it with my 105mm AIS macro lense. On this body every thing is manual with AIS lenses - focus (of course), metering, flash.

If you have used a flash in manual mode with film cameras, then you will not have any problems, all you have to do is to set the aperture for a given distance from a table usually printed on older non auto flash.

Similarly if you are used to adjusting the exposures manually there will be no problems. In fact with digital you can afford to take a trial shot and adjust the exposure after checking the histogram with no penalty.

I would suggest the D3300 rather than the D3200, as the sensor is sharper and the processor newer resulting in better high ISO noise, faster shooting and faster video - all worth the extra you pay for D3300 over D3200. The new 18-55 kit is also much better than the older one. On the other hand if you plan to shoot primarily with older AIS lenses (and there are a few which are irreplaceable - 50mmF1.32, 28mmF2.8 and some super telephotos), then think of getting the DF body.

aroy

Which bodies can meter in aperture priority mode?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
I think all the FX bodies. I am not sure of the D7xxx series. You can look it up on the web. Where ever you can input the lens's maximum aperture, the body will meter in aperture priority.

rikman

It's not a big deal to me. I'm used to metering the a light meter & manual focus in my Hadselblad, zero magic. If you like the lens shoot it. I actually find reflective in camera meters annoying since starting on my obsession , I mean film journey and take many incident readings.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

SkvLTD

Get extra familiar with your oldies and only get what you don't yet have/feel the REAL need to get. Else throw money at the best body you can get when you feel like upgrading.