Quality WIDE lens ??????

Dimitar

Hey guys, I would be saving up some cash and buying a good quality lens this time. I can spend from £400 to £600 the most !! What are some good wide angle lenses at that price ? Sigma or Nikon only ! I shoot anything so I need a wide angle lens. I also need the lens to be suitable for portraits, very important !

480sparky

A wide lens for portraits? That's a contradiction in terms. I wouldn't shoot portraits with anything shorter than 85mm.

For a DX or FX body?

Geoffc

My wife just got a Sigma 17-50 2.8 which is a good performer and well within budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fortkentdad

There are more DX options than full frame I've found, especially if price is an issue.

I went for a Tamron 20-40 2.7-3.5

I like it.

There is a Flickr group dedicated to that lens, take a look at the images. It is not a new lens but works for me.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/tamron_af_20-40/

And it won't break the budget. Got mine, in like new condition from KEH.com about $145 + shipping as I recall.

Last edited:

kamaccord

Look into the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 which is selling on Ebay in the $350 U.S. price range shipping from Japan. You will not regret it.

KAM_3422.jpg

Last edited:

alfaholic

Banned
Sigma 17-50 f28 is great lens, not just for the price.
It is moderately wide at17mm, but it can be interesting for portraits at 50mm and f2.8, it can be useful at night as well.
This lens is very sharp, it is not super sharp at the corners wide open at f2.8, but for landscapes at f4, f5.6, f7, or f8 it is sharp all the way.
Build quality is good, I only do not like focus ring that rotates while auto focusing, but it takes one day to learn how to hold it, and zoom ring turns the opposite way, it takes 3 days to get used to it.

It is very good lens, I do not know if it is wide enough for you, and if 50mm suits your portrait needs, but for me and my photography this lens is great.

Horoscope Fish

A wide lens for portraits? That's a contradiction in terms. I wouldn't shoot portraits with anything shorter than 85mm.
Agreed. Wide angle lenses aren't the tool for portraits. That being said, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM is an outstanding lens. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX PRO is my current widey-wide lens and it's a great lens as well; wider than the Sigma as well but you specifically stated you wanted only Sigma, or Nikon, glass so there ya go.

Last edited:

AMcWeeny

I have the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 and it is a great lense for photos, if that's all you are going to use it for. However, it does NOT auto-focus in movie mode like the Nikkor lenses do. I have a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 that also has the auto-focus issue in movie mode.

Dimitar

Agreed. Wide angle lenses aren't the tool for portraits. That being said, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM is an outstanding lens. The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 DX PRO is my current widey-wide lens and it's a great lens as well; wider than the Sigma as well but you specifically stated you wanted only Sigma, or Nikon, glass so there ya go.

Hmm.. well, i like portraits taken with wide angle lenses. With my 35mm on crop sensor you can take good portraits but cant get anything else besides the person. And you also have to go back and forth. With wide angle you can go really close and yet get some of the background in your photo.

Dimitar

Also, if you check my instagram Instagram you will see im more of a urban/ street photographer and the problem is that my parents think they know what is better for me and they are telling me to buy the 18-200mm nikkor vr and I keep telling them i dont need a telephoto zoom lens at all. All I need is a wide angle zoom but they think that since the lens goes from 18mm it'll be wide enough. How the hell do I tell em wide angle is better, in my case , with my style ? Im shooting undergrounds, street life and stuff. I dont see my self using that 200mm at all. Thats plain stupid

RON_RIP

The 16-85 runs the gamut from wide for landscapes to 85mm for portraits. It is not fast but with the modern range of achievable high ISO settings in can serve most of your needs.

alfaholic

Banned
Hmm.. well, i like portraits taken with wide angle lenses. With my 35mm on crop sensor you can take good portraits but cant get anything else besides the person. And you also have to go back and forth. With wide angle you can go really close and yet get some of the background in your photo.

If you get too close you will most certainly get big nose effect, but I agree, 35mm can be very good for portraits if used properly, just 35mm is not wide, at least it is not on DX body.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you want a WIDE lens, you should be looking at Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 11-16. These two are probably your best DX wide angle zooms.

Dimitar

Guys. I need real quick response ! Should i get the tokina 11-16 f2.8 or sigma 10-20 f3.5 ??? Im about to make the purchase of my life lmao.