Comparing shots from Nikon 35, 50, and 85 1.8 primes

dickelfan

I rented an 85 prime last weekend to see how it was. I really enjoyed it, and got some good shots out of it. I already have the 35 and 50, and thought I'd take a couple of similar pictures of my daughter to see how they compared since there is always a debate about these lenses when shooting portraits. I know these aren't ideal shots, but let me know which of these shot with the different lenses look best in your mind. I think the bokeh on the 85 looks best. I should have shot them all the same, but didn't think about it at the time, but close enough. Also, I'm still thinking of getting the 85MM...thoughts?

DSC_0175.jpg
35 MM

DSC_0169.jpg
50MM

DSC_0064-2.jpg

Bill16

The third shot is the best in my opinion, but without them all filling the photo in the same way I can't say by this which lens works the best. But from what I've heard, the 85mm is the best for portraits like these. :)
But I only have the 50mm and so I can't say from personal experience.

ShootRaw

All these lens have a 7 blades...The 85mm 1.4G has 9 blades which will render more pleasing bokeh...The 85mm focal length will be the best for flattering your subject between the three due to better compression...