Greets from up north!

SwediKris

Hey all, a freshly squeezed Nikonite here. Daughter turned 14 and the only thing on her wish list we found acceptable was a "Camera". After a short hunt we ended up with a used D3100, a stand, a bag and a 16G card. It's also a bit of a test, since the daughter unit hasn't always been able to look after gadgets all that well, her phone's appearance is testament to that.

It's also a great opportunity for me since it's the first advanced camera in the household, and the plan is to check out some books. If the daughter indeed is bitten with the photography bug, great. If not, i'll probably end up getting a simpler point-and-shoot for her and adopting the Nikon.

Going out today with the tripod and going to take some shots to put in the gallery with various settings in P-mode of the same scene, just to get a feel for it.

I'll most likely be back with questions sooner rather than later!

Bill16

Welcome to Nikonites! It sounds like you have a pretty good plan, and the D3100 is a great Nikon to start exploring photography with! :D

nickt

Welcome. My usual advice.... learn exposure. Get yourself to fully understand the relationship between shutter, aperture and iso. Learn this before reading your camera manual and everything else will become much easier. Plenty of books on basic photography/exposure. Many are in the bargain bins, these principals have been around since the the beginning. Plenty of stuff online too. Its not a big deal to learn these basics. Here is a video with some good basics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8T94sdiNjc

traceyjj

Welcome.

The D3100 is what we bought my 14 year old daughter too. 2 years later she's studying photography at college, and has her eye on my D5100 :)

wornish

welcome.gif

Englischdude

welcome to nikonites. great choice on the d3100. i bought mine as a second camera...... which has ironically become more of my first camera due to its compact size, weight and quality!

Fortkentdad

Welcome from Northern Canada - when you say the Bitter North where on earth are you referring.

Hope all goes well with your daughter's present - both my kids are now in there 30's with kids of their own, but I do recall those mid-teen years. Good luck.

As for the camera - if she doesn't get bitten buy the bug - I'm thinking you already are.

Let us know how it all works out for you and yours.