D600 purchase

RON_RIP

Just viewed a a D600 in stated excellent condition with 4450 actual activations for $350 on local craigslist. Does that sound to good to be true? And, would a camera purchased that way still be eligible for repair if the sensor is defective? Many of you have dealt with these issues and I would very much like your thoughts on this.

Rick M

I'd be cautious, but you never know. I've gotten some great gear from folks strapped for cash! As far as the sensor issue, I'm not sure but registration could be an issue if it was. I have not seen (or looked for) anything on second owner eligibility. But, its worth it even if you have to clean the sensor occasionally!

RocketCowboy

I don't believe Nikon's US warranty is transferable, so that may be a problem for any future sensor cleaning/fix. That would be my main concern with a used D600, and may well be why it's so cheap.

Fred Kingston

The D600 shutter cleaning/replacement is available to ALL Nikon D600 owners. There is no warranty or registration, or grey market limitations...

Knowing the CraigsList user's attention to details... (or lack thereof, as the case may be) I doubt it's a D600... and/or there is either one too many zeros in the model number, or not enough zeros in the price...;)

skene

Well there is definitely a picture as I seen from the CL post... However I think that this is one of those fake ads so they can spam you when you send your Email addy to them. If you want to try your luck only correspond through CL. Or set up a throw away email account.

caveat emptor

Nikon D600

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
There is a D700 listed in local craigslist for $450.

hrstrat57 sniffed bait and swam away.....

Yes, and the seller just had a family emergency and had to leave for a bit of time. So he asks you to send money to his bank account and he will ship you the camera. So, you're out of money and either nothing comes, or you get a nice empty box.

Common fraud tentative on CL or even Kijiji.ca. Usually, these adds are removed by Mods of these lists.

Blacktop

Yes, and the seller just had a family emergency and had to leave for a bit of time. So he asks you to send money to his bank account and he will ship you the camera. So, you're out of money and either nothing comes, or you get a nice empty box.

Common fraud tentative on CL or even Kijiji.ca. Usually, these adds are removed by Mods of these lists.

My thoughts as well.

hrstrat57

Recently had to flag a post on C/L !! It was my nex 6 I had for sale on eBay. My pics and description everything! Flagged it was gone in 10 minutes.

C/l rules, phone/ text only cash money in public location!

a lot of the scams come from outside the USA phishing for email addresses...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm very suspicious of such a low price, too. If checking out a camera, taking a lens and memory card will help determine if the camera works properly; however, the problem is someone might want to steal your stuff so always meet up in a very public place. To me this sounds too good to be true.

RON_RIP

Took advise and created throw away email and sent enquiry as to why it was for sale and had it had sensor issues. Got no reply. No fx in my near future. Thanks everyone for your sound advise.

Blade Canyon

Even if this ad was false, you can get the shutter repair on any D600 you buy that has not yet had it. I bought a D600 on Ebay right before they announced the replacement, and Nikon changed the shutter without asking for any proof of purchase or ownership. I love the D600.

There is one for sale on Craigslist in Raleigh for just $1,000.

BackdoorArts

I just got offered one with a Nikon grip on approval for what I consider a stupid price (like "I'd be stupid to pass on it") that now has me wondering how much I can pocket by swapping out the D800 (which has gotten zero use since getting the D7100) and using the second D600 as a backup. Waiting on photos of the body which is "not super pretty since I drag my camera with me everywhere", but given that it's being sent to me try before you buy and it still has yet to be sent to Nikon for the shutter service, I'm sort of dancing around here thinking that as long as it's fully functional I should be able to get it into tip-top shape for nothing.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I just got offered one with a Nikon grip on approval for what I consider a stupid price (like "I'd be stupid to pass on it") that now has me wondering how much I can pocket by swapping out the D800 (which has gotten zero use since getting the D7100) and using the second D600 as a backup. Waiting on photos of the body which is "not super pretty since I drag my camera with me everywhere", but given that it's being sent to me try before you buy and it still has yet to be sent to Nikon for the shutter service, I'm sort of dancing around here thinking that as long as it's fully functional I should be able to get it into tip-top shape for nothing.

Sounds interesting! Good luck and hope it works out for you. :)

Had to laugh at your comment of swapping out the D800 since it is usually the other way around--people want to acquire a D800. That said, after reading a lot of comments on how the D800 is so unforgiving, I can understand. The D600 is no slouch, that's for sure!

BackdoorArts

Sounds interesting! Good luck and hope it works out for you. :)

Had to laugh at your comment of swapping out the D800 since it is usually the other way around--people want to acquire a D800. That said, after reading a lot of comments on how the D800 is so unforgiving, I can understand. The D600 is no slouch, that's for sure!

My take on this, as a person with what I would consider an eye that's 10 years more advanced than their technique, is that anyone who says it's unforgiving is someone who bought too much camera. If I lament anything with the D800 it's that the files are 50% too big for 95% of my shots. I don't blame the camera there as much as the photographer, but it's not the quality that bothers me, it's the storage.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My take on this, as a person with what I would consider an eye that's 10 years more advanced than their technique, is that anyone who says it's unforgiving is someone who bought too much camera. If I lament anything with the D800 it's that the files are 50% too big for 95% of my shots. I don't blame the camera there as much as the photographer, but it's not the quality that bothers me, it's the storage.

And you may very well be right! I've read that comment on here several times, and most likely people aren't steady enough while shooting. The camera will capture what is in the viewfinder...and if the viewfinder moves during the time the shutter is open, those really large resolution files will catch it.

Quick question for you Jake...how large in inches are uncropped images from the D800? A D610 image is roughly 19x13. I know files can be resized...just wondering how much bigger overall an image is from the D800.