Camera Body Midterms

zutty

Well, It's been about 6 months since I've had to give up music for photography. In that time I've tried out a D5300, D7100, D610, D800 and D810. In rating them (to my amateurish standards), I have to say my least favorite was the D5300. Although the image quality was excellent and the GPS and variable angle lcd screen were nice to have, my biggest problem was that the viewfinder was really not to my liking at all. It has the pentamirror opposed to the pentaprism of the others. As for the D7100 it felt great in my hands from the begining. I should also say that I had the Nikon battery grips for all of these camera bodies. Except of course for the D5300 which doesn't have one made by Nikon so I had a 3rd party grip (Vix). So to me the D7100 was the best dx format camera. As for the fx format cameras, I have not had much time with them and only have initial opinions. The D610 is really nice, fast, and lighter to hold that the other fx. Although the viewfinder is that nasty green, it is bright enough. Except for that it is kinda like an fx version of the D7100. Now to the D800. It is a terrific camera, the huge resolution makes for ultra sharp images and in the short time I had the D810 I found that the EXPEED 4 made it even faster and more accurate than the D800. So, I'm keeping the D7100 and D610 and hope to have enough dough in the future to get the D810.
Here is one example of each camera...
D5300
D5300

D7100
D7100

D800

D800

D810

D810

Blacktop

I've had to give up music for photography.

Why did you have to give it up?

I sold a lot of my music recording gear to finance my photo hobby, but I already lost interest in home recording anyway.
Never lost interest in music though. As a matter of fact if I had to pick one over the other it would be music.

I could live without photography but would die without my music.

weebee

I really can't say which is better between the D800 and the D7100. They're both very good. But, since I'm almost ready to buy a D7100. I'll give it the thumbs up. Not trying to be biased or anything like that.....sm_whistle.gif