LCD review on long exposures

FLIGHTO

Hello all,

I recently traded up my D7000 for a D7100. I went out tonight at sunset to do some long exposure sunset shots at the beach. Just a note: I do not use live view. I noticed that the image review does not display the image until the camera writes it to the card. The D7000 did this in live view I remember. On top of if all it's taking a very long time to write the data to the card. I would say a 10 sec exposure is taking about 10 sec to write to the card. I tested this out on three different cards all 16 GB UHS cards. I was using a new sony UHS 95mb/s card tonight.

I do not remember my D7000 so slow and I could swear the image would show on the LCD immediately. Does anyone else see this? I understand it is processing big raw files but the seems excessive for long exposures NOT in live view.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MartinCornwall

Have you got Long Exposure Noise Reduction turned on, this takes another exposure the same length as the exposure you dialled in, only with the shutter closed. The camera then uses this dark frame to subtract any noise from the first exposure and will not show the preview until this has finished processing.

BackdoorArts

I also believe Long Exp NR is to blame here. The image isn't finished until it does a second exposure of equal length and subtracts the noise from the first. The first time I accidentally turned it on I experienced the same frustration until I realized what I'd done.

aroy

As explaind it is the "Dark Frame"., that is a second frame with shutter off. You will be better off if you do the dark frame your self. Turn off the noise reduction, and after the shot take a second shot with lense cap on. Then use software to do the noise reduction. It has two advantages
. The main shot gets over in say 10s, so if any thing happens after that will not spoil the shot.
. Normally off camera dark frame subtraction is better as you use a powerful computer with advanced software, and not left at the mercy of the camera.

Another method of getting better noise figures is to take a number of shots at shorter interval and then merge them in software. For example instead of taking one shot for 10 sec, take 10 shots at 1 sec interval or better still 100 at 1/10 sec intervals. Please scan the net for an explanation of why 100 shots are better than 1 shot, even though they are of the same cumulative duration. You will also get free software to merge the shots and reduce the noise.

FLIGHTO

I didn't even think of the long exposure NR option. I will ck it when I get home.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know if that did the trick...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk