Black Image on Manual Mode M Mode

ckg2014

Hi All , Can any one help ? I am using a Nikon D 7100 with Tamron 18-270 . On the M Mode , I get no Pictures. Same lens Work fine with my D 90 on Manual Mode .

D 7100 works fine with all other Modes. Any help ? This is a New D 7100 . I recall using on M mode and had good Pictures earlier .

ckg2014

No error Messages ; Appears to be a Setting and exposure Issue ? I am totally New to Digital SLR's ... Intrigued if Camera is damaged. I tried the Shots inside a Living Room with low Light ...Other Modes like Auto Focus, A Mode all fine. Only M mode giving dark Black Image ( Blank )

Bill16

Oh I think you'll need to increase your iso settings a lot. Manual means it doesn't do it for you. You have to set all your setting when in manual mode.

Either your iso needs uped a lot or you'll have to set your shutter speed slower, open your f stop wider or a bit of all three. I'm not positive how much will be needed since I don't have that Nikon model.
Mine doesn't have the lowlight abilities that yours has.

No error Messages ; Appears to be a Setting and exposure Issue ? I am totally New to Digital SLR's ... Intrigued if Camera is damaged. I tried the Shots inside a Living Room with low Light ...Other Modes like Auto Focus, A Mode all fine. Only M mode giving dark Black Image ( Blank )

Last edited:

yauman

Hi All , Can any one help ? I am using a Nikon D 7100 with Tamron 18-270 . On the M Mode , I get no Pictures. Same lens Work fine with my D 90 on Manual Mode .

D 7100 works fine with all other Modes. Any help ? This is a New D 7100 . I recall using on M mode and had good Pictures earlier .

When you are in M mode, it's roll your own time!! To help you, there's a little light meter in the viewfinder - look through the viewfinder and see the lightmeter at the bottom a little right of center. The idea is to play around with aperture, shutter and ISO setting to get the "needle" to be at the "0" mark. If you are indoors, start by setting ISO to about 400 - you may need to up it to 800! Now set shutter speed to as low as 30 (with the Tamron with it's amazing VC, you should be able to hand hold to 1/30 seconds). Now see if you can adjust aperture to get the needle to be a at the "0" center mark. That's the proper aperture setting. If you cannot, is it stuck on the - (minus) side? If so, up the ISO or slow down the shutter to like 1/15 or 1/8 (you'll need a tripod below 1/15) If it's on the + (plus) side, up the shutter speed or lowing the ISO setting.

Hope that helps.

Roy1961

Contributor
welcome to Manual mode, when i first started M mode i got lots of black shots, then white ones then ones that looked like i was in the middle of an earthquake before i got it all figured out, all part of the learning curve.