Auto focus Lens Issue

rcbob

I'm having auto focus issues with my 3200 auto focusing using a AF-S Nikkor 80-200 1:2.8 D lens.

Some Background:
1) The lens I'm using are old lens
(13 years old) that I used on my F5.
2) The 80-200 auto focuses without issues on my F5.
3) I also use a a AF-S Nikkor 28-70 1:2.8 D
(also 13 years old) on the 3200 with no issues. It also works on my F5.

The problem Is that I get a blinking {E} and a ?" on the 3200 and it will not auto focus.

Any Ideas why I'm having this problem?

Many Thanks in advance
Bob

Sandpatch

Someone here who knows much more than I do will likely respond, but I'm guessing that your AF-S Nikkor 80-200 1:2.8 D requires a camera body with a focusing motor built in. Your D3200 does not have an internal motor. Your AF-S Nikkor 28-70 1:2.8 D sports its motor within the lens, so is compatible with your D3200.

You have two beautiful lenses!

Last edited:

Bill16

I would clean your contacts first, because it sounds like that maybe the issue. The only other thing I can think of after reading your post, is that the silentwave motor in the lens might be the issue if it still doesn't work after cleaning the contacts.
But I'm betting/hoping the contacts needing cleaned is the culprit. Best wishes. :)

pedroj

I think the AF-S 80-200mm F2.8 may have an aperture ring and needs to be set at the smallest aperture F22 for it to operate correctly

rcbob

Thanks for all the information,
I hope the contacts need cleaning... but since the lens in question works on the F5 I'm not hopeful that will solve the issue.
I will double check the aperture ring and make sure it's at the smallest aperture.. but again I'm not hopeful since it also has to be at the smallest aperture to work on the F5.

More Information:
1) Both lens are D lens with motors built into the lens (Am I correct?)...the 28-70 works perfectly on the 3200

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
More Information:
1) Both lens are D lens with motors built into the lens (Am I correct?)...the 28-70 works perfectly on the 3200

D lenses don't have a focus motor in the lens. They require a camera with a focus motor: D70, 80, 90, 300, 600, 700, DF, 800, 810, D2, 3, 3s, 4, 4s (in other words, pro models.

Entry level 3xxx and 5xxx don't have a focus motor in the camera. You should consult your manual for a list of lenses that will effectively focus with your camera.

Bill16

If they both say AF-S on them then they have the silentwave motor in them, and will work on that model. But if one of them has AF but no S on it then it won't auto focus on your Nikon model. If a lens has a bad motor in it, it will still auto focus on Nikon models that have their own built in auto focus motor, but not on your Nikon model.

Thanks for all the information,
I hope the contacts need cleaning... but since the lens in question works on the F5 I'm not hopeful that will solve the issue.
I will double check the aperture ring and make sure it's at the smallest aperture.. but again I'm not hopeful since it also has to be at the smallest aperture to work on the F5.

More Information:

aroy

Refer to my post #5 (check the link). The 80-200 has no motor in it, so it will not AF on D3xxx and D5xxx bodies.

Eyelight

Refer to my post #5 (check the link). The 80-200 has no motor in it, so it will not AF on D3xxx and D5xxx bodies.

Sorry buddy, I didn't realize they didn't make an AF-S version.:)

May not be what the OP has but Nikon did make an AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED. (introduced in 1998 an discontinued in 2003)

The S in AF-S means the lens has a motor. (no S = no motor in lens)

D means the lens provides the metering system with distance info. (All G lenses do this)

G means the body controls the aperture with no aperture ring on the lens.

Last edited: