Help Help - in a penelope pitstop style!

yawning_cat

I Used my D600 fine last weekend, got it out today to do a super car shoot and the auto focus doesn't seem to be working. The Auto / manual focus button is set to AF and so is the lens, ive tried a different lens and its the same so its a camera issue.
Ive tried pushing the focus mode selector button on the side of the body whilst spinning the front pin wheel and tried to change focus settings with no joy it just wont switch or change.
Ive done a master reset and cleaned the contacts where the lens attaches fully charged a battery, still with no joy - am i missing an obvious in camera menu setting ? Im so lost on this :confused:
Any help really appreciated
Jeni

Eyelight

I can ask this from an experience sort of perspective. You didn't by chance change the focus function to a button other than the shutter-release and then maybe forget?

yawning_cat

Hi,
Not that i'm aware of, Ive also done a master reset on the camera which i hoped would revert it back to factory settings. Unless my cat has walked across the buttons on the camera - is there any way i could find out if ive re-assigned a button ?

yawning_cat

Yes ive tried a number of lenses, cleaning contacts etc. its like someone has switched the auto focus off :-( and the focus select button seems to wake the camera up so to speak but wont allow me to change the focus settings.

Horoscope Fish

Did you accidentally flip the little switch around the OK button to the "L" position?

back-1200.jpg

yawning_cat

Nope its on the setting with the dot.
Sadly this is what i was shooting today, but most of my rolling shots failed as im not quick enough on manual focus.
DSC_3132web.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Did you accidentally bump the camera? Maybe something just quit on you... Hopefully not, but it seems you did all I would have done before sending it in for a checkup. I hope you had a backup.

yawning_cat

No I treat my camera with huge respect its not done loads of work really, it went back after oiling appeared on the sensor and its been fine since then. I didn't have a back-up sadly can only afford one full frame for now :-/

Eyelight

If you are familiar with the rangefinder, does it seem to function as it should? The rangefinder should use the same focus point(s) that the AF is set to.

If not familiar with it, you might look for this in the manual.

Checking this won't solve the issue, but may add to the info on the problem.

yawning_cat

Ive had a look at the range finder yes, but still nothing. Ive set the camera so it'll only take while in focus on shutter release and it happily takes a photo out of focus - i just feel im missing something stupid.

Horoscope Fish

Ive had a look at the range finder yes, but still nothing. Ive set the camera so it'll only take while in focus on shutter release and it happily takes a photo out of focus - i just feel im missing something stupid.
Well, just to recap... You've checked the AF/M body switch. You've not "L"ocked focus. You've checked the AF/M switch on the lenses. You've cleaned the contacts and reset the menus...

The only other thing I can think of is AE-L/AF-L button but you've reset the menus and such which I'm sure would have disabled that, had you inadvertently set AF-L somehow. So yeah... I dunno. I'm all of ideas at this point. If it is something totally stupid, I'd say at least you're in good company. I'd probably repeatedly push/reset everything numerous times and/or try using foul language. Can't hurt to try either.

Last edited:

yawning_cat

Teeeheeeheee, i know its something daft - bloomin frustrating, hoping I can figure it by saturday for the next shoot. Im off to bang my head against a wall - still open to ideas :(

Bill16

I'm likely the dumbest one on this thread, so please don't be offended. But have you checked the mode your in? It's likely stupid question, but I didn't see it asked yet.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Ive tried pushing the focus mode selector button on the side of the body whilst spinning the front pin wheel and tried to change focus settings with no joy it just wont switch or change.
Jeni

Take a look at this video. If you forward to about 1:30, it tells how to use the info button on the back then you can use the rear wheel to scroll through the 3 AF modes. Maybe you can see if it will switch that way?

Eyelight

If the AF is moving the lens elements, but the shutter is releasing in an AF mode before achieving focus, there is a setting that switches the priority from the focus to the shutter release. In other words the setting allows the shutter to release regardless of focus. Not sure if a reset will reset this either.

Check the manual for AF-S Priority Selection or AF-C Priority Selection.

Eyelight

If the AF is moving the lens elements, but the shutter is releasing in an AF mode before achieving focus, there is a setting that switches the priority from the focus to the shutter release. In other words the setting allows the shutter to release regardless of focus. Not sure if a reset will reset this either.

Check the manual for AF-S Priority Selection or AF-C Priority Selection.

I may have misinterpreted your comment. If set to release priority, the camera will take the OOF shot, ignoring the focus condition. If set to focus priority it should not release the shutter unless it thinks it has focus.

Blade Canyon

Have you tested it in all AF modes, and with multiple/single AF points? AF-S, AF-C, AF-A, and single, 3d, Auto, D9, D21, etc? Have you tried AF-S and also tried moving the single AF point to a different spot?