5 quick ways to improve your photography

WeeHector

Here are 5 things you can start doing relatively quickly that will benefit your evolution as a photographer.

5 quick ways to improve your photography

I totally agree with some of this, disagree with some of the rest, and am unqualified to deal with what is left.

If you're a beginner, stick to basics. If you can't take a decent photo with a D3100 then no upgrade is ever going to make you a better photographer. Stick to a small number of lenses. Know what each lens can do and master them before you decide if a new lens is really needed or if it is just a case of vanity.

Accept criticism. You may think you have taken the greatest photo in the world but sit back and take a real look at it. It"s a bit like writing a novel and publishing it on the Internet. I did this 3 years agoand reread a 250-page story every day for 70 days, finding new corrections to make each time. When I finally published it, it still wasn't perfect and needed outside help. Youhave too much emotion in a good photo and this may cloud your overall view of the technical faults.

Macro photography is one realm where you really must take as many photos as you can. Focusing on tiny subjects is incredibly difficult and often the only solution is focus stacking which requires numerous photos of a static subject. In macro, use autofocus as a quick set-up and then change to manual.