Sigma / D7100 Compatibility issue

Englischdude

whilst testing my lenses on my new D7100 I noticed some issues with my sigma 18-200 from the new contemporary line. When previewing pictures on the camera it is not possible to hold and scroll around a zoomed picture, you have to repeatedly press the arrow buttons. Metering seems to stay active for a minute regardless of camera setting, after which there is an audible click, then the scrolling works!
I have done a google search and found others with compatibility issues.

I have just this minute called sigma in germany and they told me that this is known, no fix is planned, and if I cant live with the lens as-is then I should send it back for a refund!

Anyone else have this experience?

BackdoorArts

There's been a couple threads around that seem to point to Nikon purposefully buggering with 3rd party lens makers firmware, rendering some functions inoperable or badly operable. Not that Nikon is the only one doing it. My brother had a significant issue with the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and his Canon 1D that he spend the better part of 6 months dealing with. He was told repeatedly that he was "the only person complaining about the issue", but low and behold, Sigma announced a firmware upgrade a couple weeks ago that fixed this one-person-problem (if you want something to read, here's his blog about it Saga of the Sigma 120-300 "Sports").

While no fix is "planned", I suspect that it's something that they will eventually fix. They just don't want to commit to something they don't have a date for. I believe as companies like Sigma continue to push the envelope with high quality "3rd party" lenses priced below the offerings of Nikon and Canon you will continue to see things like this pop up. I have to say that I have not experienced any issues with my D7100 and the Sigma 150-500mm, but it's not a product in Nikon's arsenal. They'd love you to use their 18-200mm instead, which I suspect is no coincidence.

As they said, you need to figure out what you can live with and can't.