Need help with 55-200mm accessory...

tcepilot

I just got a d3100 bundle with the Nikkor 18-55 and 55-200mm AF lenses. I saw on eBay that there are magnification accessories that thread into the end of the lenses; advertising to double the zoom of the lenses. I want to know if it will change the image quality. Any advice would be great!

weebee

I bought one of the Vivitar 2.2x ones. I'm happy I only spent less then 10.00 for it. Here's a picture I took with it. Now, this was taken using a tripod and a remote shutter trigger. My wife's knick knack table, kit lenses at 200mm, on board flash. You decide. I since bought a 2.0 TC, far better. But they have their drawbacks as well. But much better results.

DSC_4545.jpg

I bought one of the Vivitar 2.2x ones. I'm happy I only spent less then 10.00 for it. Here's a picture I took with it. Now, this was taken using a tripod and a remote shutter trigger. My wife's knick knack table, kit lenses at 200mm, on board flash. You decide. I since bought a 2.0 TC, far better. But they have their drawbacks as well. But much better results.

View attachment 100286

You can't take a $10 piece of glass and put it on a $500 camera/lens and expect to not loose something. I found that on my D7100 I could not use the lenses that looked pretty good on the D5100. They just could not hold up with the better sensor.