aperture and shutter problems

britnilaw

I am fairly new to photography and brand new to this site! Im having problems getting a clear image when im taking photos of my baby. Im using the largest aperture I have and a slower shutter speed gives me a blurry image obviously and faster shutter speeds my camera wont go off because it says the image is too dark. This is indoors. I cant seem to find a happy medium, Im using the large aperture for the blurred background effect, don`t really know photography lingo all that well yet haha but is there a difference way to achieve thatÉ I dont have a tripod though, im wondering if theres anyway around this without purchasing lighting equipment. HelpÉ

pedroj

Hi and welcome...You say large aperture, What aperture are you using???F2.8...F3.5 or F22...F35...If it's one of the latter [F22] that is one of the smaller apertures...

Boatboy24

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this stuff too, but had a similar problem just last week. What shooting mode are you in, aperture priority? Full manual? I was using aperture priority, but had previously adjusted exposure compensation. The compensation stayed, creating longer shutter speeds even at f/1.8. I did a reset and all was solved.

Jim

britnilaw

I've been shooting in all modes to get practice but mostly aperture, I've played around with it a lot and just can seem to get it to do what I want!!argh!so in a mode I had it on my largest aperature at say ISO 400-800 and still blurry, and on manual mode I just can't seem to find a happy medium or it won't let me

480sparky

I've been shooting in all modes to get practice but mostly aperture, I've played around with it a lot and just can seem to get it to do what I want!!argh!so in a mode I had it on my largest aperature at say ISO 400-800 and still blurry, and on manual mode I just can't seem to find a happy medium or it won't let me

What are you calling 'modes'? Scene modes? If Portrait and Child and Close Up modes are what you're going by, that makes zero difference to exposure.

pedroj

Aperture=Big number "F22 means small aperture...Small number "F2.8" means big aperture....What aperture are you using...

mikew_RIP

I am fairly new to photography and brand new to this site! Im having problems getting a clear image when im taking photos of my baby. Im using the largest aperture I have and a slower shutter speed gives me a blurry image obviously and faster shutter speeds my camera wont go off because it says the image is too dark. This is indoors. I cant seem to find a happy medium, Im using the large aperture for the blurred background effect, don`t really know photography lingo all that well yet haha but is there a difference way to achieve thatÉ I dont have a tripod though, im wondering if theres anyway around this without purchasing lighting equipment. HelpÉ

There are ways to achieve you aim with out buying lighting,especially at this stage of your learning curve,take a deep breath and relax :D it sounds like you are trying the right things but not got enough understanding of it,have you tried outside in good light as i think lack of light inside is causing your frustration.

aroy

Use
. Aperture priority
. Set ISO to 400
. Using the rotating wheel set the aperture to f8
. Pop the flash manually
. Select RAW+jpeg

Now focus and shoot. The flash should fire. Check the image on the camera and then in the computer. If you have no RAW converter, view the jpeg. Now
. If the image is still blurry then your hands are shaking, or the AF did not focus properly
. If the image is sharp and properly exposed, your problem is solved.
In either case post the image(s) on this forum.

aroy

How does that affect the desired results?
You do a quick check using jpeg, which can be displayed by practically viewers supplied with all OS's. If you feel it needs processing further then use the RAW file to modify it. I use Nikon Capture NX-D beta, a free download from Nikon site.

480sparky

You do a quick check using jpeg, which can be displayed by practically viewers supplied with all OS's. If you feel it needs processing further then use the RAW file to modify it. I use Nikon Capture NX-D beta, a free download from Nikon site.

So how does 'further processing' help the OP's problem?

pedroj

I think the ops problem is he/she is using an aperture to small F22 + instead of F2.8 to F8....

Hasn't understood what was read from the manual...