NIKON AF-S 80-400MM F/4.5-5.6G ED VR Question

06Honda

Wil this lense on one of the new Nikon bodies ie: D7000, etc need to be fine tuned or will it be good to good for shooting right out of the box?

Patrick M

I read a review - nikon usa - where the reviewer referred to this lens as "fantastic" on dis D7100 in both DX and DX Crop modes.
So it's good to go out of the go out of the box...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Rick M

Most lenses are ready to go. I've had to fine tune a sigma before, but never a Nikon. That being said I usually just casually test new lenses, perhaps with extensive testing they could be even better. It can get a bit tricky with zooms, an adjustment at 200mm may throw you off at 70mm.

TedG954

I bought mine new and mounted it on my D800 out of the box. It was GTG and produces fines photographs.

VR or no VR, at 400mm, I suggest a tripod at all times.

Bill16

I'd say this was an awesome lens, after seeing what it can produce in the hands of a great photographer! Wow Sam posted awesome wildlife shots! :D

06Honda

Thanks folks, finally got the money saved for the new version of this lense and a new body, will likely stay DX and get the 7100. Should be a good combo for my needs.

jay_dean

Yeah, i think that goes for using many zooms at their maximum. I just think mine gets softer after 200mm or so, and goes downhill from there. Dunno, maybe its my copy