New to forum few questions

greg232

I have been a Canon user since getting into photography 20 years ago. Recently sold all of my outdated Canon gear and just picked up a D7000 with the 18-200 VRII lens. I am mainly a weekend shooter. My sons sporting events, parties, and just go out and shoot to relax. I have been reading reviews etc.. about Nikon lenses but wanted some advice on some affordable sharp lenses hopefully find something used. Did I make the wrong choice as far as the 18-200 as my first lens. Would the 18-140 have been the better choice? Not looking to spend thousands of dollars right out of the gate but I do enlarge pics that I love no bigger than 11X14. Any advice you guys could give my would be greatly appreciated. Not familiar at all with Nikon gear however I feel they have the edge over Canon any day

WayneF

I have been a Canon user since getting into photography 20 years ago. Recently sold all of my outdated Canon gear and just picked up a D7000 with the 18-200 VRII lens. I am mainly a weekend shooter. My sons sporting events, parties, and just go out and shoot to relax. I have been reading reviews etc.. about Nikon lenses but wanted some advice on some affordable sharp lenses hopefully find something used. Did I make the wrong choice as far as the 18-200 as my first lens. Would the 18-140 have been the better choice? Not looking to spend thousands of dollars right out of the gate but I do enlarge pics that I love no bigger than 11X14. Any advice you guys could give my would be greatly appreciated. Not familiar at all with Nikon gear however I feel they have the edge over Canon any day

Welcome to the forum, but that is not actually answerable. :) It is a preference, and we can all have different opinions. Some people love the lens, for its range and versatility, and other people think there are better lenses. Who's to say in any definitive way? :)

Are you satisfied with it and your pictures? If so, question answered. If not, then there are other lenses.

Some people, particularly in earlier eras, thought prime lenses (one focal length, no zoom) were superior quality to zoom lenses which tried to be several different focal lengths. But today, computer design has improved zoom lenses, and those in the $2000 price class are breathtaking. Cheap ones for mass market are just not the same.

And there are zooms that conservatively try to zoom over only a 2:1 or 3: focal length range. And others that try for 5:1 or 6:1 range, and the 18-200 does 11:1 range. The 18-300 does 16:1 range. This is a harder design, hard to be excellent everywhere. This will be true of Canon or other lenses too.

But the versatility is awesome. One lens does anything. It is just somewhat debatable how well it can do everything. :) But of course, it certainly can be "good enough", but you have to judge that for yourself.

Here are some test results which might be of interest:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests

I had a Nikon 18-200mm zoom, and I sold it, only lens I ever sold. It was fair, not bad, but just never was impressive. I was fussy, and was comparing that to my other $2000 lenses however, which is unfair. If you compare this $600 lens to other $200 lenses, it probably stands out better. But, the expensive ones do not try to zoom over a 11:1 range.

I'm just saying, opinions and preferences and budgets and needs and criteria simply differ.

Last edited:
My wife uses that lens on her D7000 and is quite happy with it. I shoot the 18-140 on my D7100 and love it. The one thing I will suggest you do is to check the back focus on the lens to make sure it is optimum. A little adjustment CAN make a big difference.

greg232

Borrowed a co-workers Nikon and loved it. He did have the 24-120 lens and man the shots that I took were super sharp. Maybe someday I will be able to afford that one.