Business portraits

some_evil

Hi guys,

I have been asked by my wife's employer to take photos of the 20 staff members (individually) so they can hang in the foyer with a name underneath. The ones they have at the minute are about 5yr old and they have new staff since then.

I have offered to update them for free on this occasion as I am more after experience than cash at this point.

My only real question at this point, is what background do you use? I don't think the white office wall is any good. I understand it will be blurred out pretty much, but to people carry a sheet with them?

Any random tips for me?

Cheers

Sent from my S3 on the run.

FastGlass

Any other wall in the office you can use. Depending on the distance between the subject and background and how you position the lights. You can make that white wall look any where from white to black. Throw e gel on it and the possibilities are endless.

Browncoat

Good man. Something like this is my recommendation, in addition to a stand + boom arm to hold it up. This combo is great for headshots on the go.

With the green, you can just digitally add whatever subtle business-appropriate background you want. There are tons of them available for download on the cheap. Sometimes the blue will work on its own...but it can look kind of like a driver's license photo background.

I wouldn't use a wall. It's probably going to reflect your flash and look like hell.

some_evil

Great tips. I am just thinking worst case scenario they have no plain walls for me to use. Wanting a backup. Those green screens are a bit pricey for my first shoot, but I like the concept.
I was initially thinking of my high school photos where they have that ugly backdrop hanging. But im not sure that is business photography appropriate.

Browncoat

Those ugly backdrops are WAY more expensive than a $50 portable screen, not to mention the additional equipment needed to hang them. The way I see it, you have three options here:

1) Show up, half ass the whole thing, begin your reputation as a mediocre photographer.

2) Admit you've bitten off more than you can chew, back out gracefully.

3) Spend a few bucks to buy what you need, research the hell out of corporate headshots and portrait lighting, and bang it out of the park.​

There is only one option that is a win-win-win for you, your wife, and the company she works for.

some_evil

That's cool. But from what I understand (could be wrong) you will jump in photoshop each and every photo by digitally adding a backdrop.
As I said I'm after tipa/ideas, but that goes against every photographer I have ever spoken to who says 'less post production is best'. So I'm hesitant to take your suggestion and run with it.
As I said I'm not wanting those ugly backdrops, but asking what the corporate equivalent is, and i am surprised post production is the best option.
Thanks again for your tips, I do appreciate your suggestion as I now will research that setup.

Browncoat

I should've elaborated a bit. That's my bad, I have a tendency to do that.

What you have here is a golden opportunity. Doing head shots like this is the #1 most profitable way to get started earning some income with your photography. You already have a couple speedlights and soft boxes, all you need is a portable background and you can do this anywhere. Hair salons, real estate agents, schools, businesses, this list is endless. Everyone needs a good portrait, they're always in demand.

There's no long term anything associated with this. You don't have to build up a huge reputation. You don't need a big portfolio. There's no wooing and trade show going (like wedding photography). You just show up to the office, line them up, and take photos. It doesn't require a lot of setup time or a lot of space to assemble. In short, this is the ideal gig.