Some Commercial Architectural shots

Rick M

I shot these for the company I work for. We are opening a new campus with 12 "cottages" which are actually Skilled Nursing Facilities (Nursing Homes). These will probably be used for brochures/marketing. They are all 3 exposure HDR's shot with the D600/ 18-35g.

DSC_8369_10929And2more_tonemapped.jpg

DSC_8378_10938And2more_tonemapped-2.jpg

DSC_8381_10941_2_10942_3_10943_tonemapped-2.jpg

DSC_8381_10941_2_10942_3_10943_tonemapped-4.jpg

DSC_8384_10944_5_10945_6_10946_tonemapped.jpg

mikew_RIP

I like those,HDR to me is at its best when some one who has never heard of it will not question the photograph just look at it and enjoy.

Rick M

Nice shots. Good example of HDR, sharp lens. Though, some of the photos could be corrected horizon-wise.:)

Yea, they are actually built on a slight grade. I tried to balance the horizon and the sidewalks on a few. I was afraid the sidewalks being "crooked" would be more noticeable to the untrained (photographers) eye.

Rick M

I like those,HDR to me is at its best when some one who has never heard of it will not question the photograph just look at it and enjoy.

Yes, exactly. It's funny how we debate the merits of HDR in this forum due to us "knowing" or having set preferences. When I do shows, the public gobbles it up. Like it or not, HDR sells.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Nice job with the HDR! :cool: Your HDR abilities are always pleasing to my eyes. :)

Personally I'd like to see the ones that are shot head on get a slight perspective adjustment done either by pulling the top forwards or pushing the bottom back. The shots that are similar to this one (I don't know if the image will show up, but I copied the attachment link that showed up in the thread's replies then added it to the URL box):

96597-some-commercial-architectural-shots-dsc_8396_10956_7_10957_8_10958_tonemapped.jpg

Rick M

I wasn't too successful correcting the distortion on the head-on shots. I think the cause was due to the fact that I was not shooting with the camera parallel to the building. I was shooting with an up-angle to get more of the sky, essentially using the bottom half of the lens on the house. Little did I know that in post I would end up using a 1:2 aspect ratio. What I should have done was shoot parallel and then cropped the bottom third out.

Luckily, to the non-photographer world, it will just be a pretty "painting" with no thought to anything we would see.

Last edited:

DraganDL

It's the HORIZON, firstly, then it is a perspective issue (I hope Rick won't mind me taking as much liberty as to correct it)....

DSC_8396_10956_7_10957_8_10958_tonemapped.jpg

Rick M

I want to thank everyone for your comments! You motivated me to go back and using the Manual lens corrections in LR I really cleaned these up! Mostly the vertical slider adjusted the distortion and perspective.

BackdoorArts

My only (hopefully) constructive comment, Rick, is that while the HDR brings out fantastic details in the buildings, I find the skies to be way too over-structured. Same with the roads. The colors, and reds in particular, are a little too flat. Without having seen the actual buildings I wouldn't know, and perhaps the colors are very close to that, but if I saw these in a brochure I'd think them a tad too over-processed.

I'm thinking something more like this (my edit on the bottom)...

DSC_8393_10953_4_10954_5_10955_tonemapped-2.jpg

Changes are very subtle, but I find it more realistic.

Rick M

These are being used in advertising the new facilities now open. They cropped a bit more, but it's at least nice to see your stuff out there. Link:

The Cottages at Garden Grove

Ps. The interior shots are not my work, Lol, look at that poor composition!

Last edited: