Nikkor 24-70 MM f/2.8 - Does Anyone Else Have This Lens?

sonicbuffalo_RIP

What do you use it primarily for? Portraits? I just received mine from UPS yesterday and am looking for ideas on what to consider shooting with it. DO you like the lens? Does not having VR hurt you a lot with this lens? Thanks for any and all input!:joyous:

Blacktop

What do you use it primarily for? Portraits? I just received mine from UPS yesterday and am looking for ideas on what to consider shooting with it. DO you like the lens? Does not having VR hurt you a lot with this lens? Thanks for any and all input!:joyous:

Not sure if you're serious.
You bought an 1800 dollar lense without knowing what you bought it for?::what::

gqtuazon

Gear Head

It is probably my most used lens and my goto lens for event photography and group shots with a FX camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Not sure if you're serious.
You bought an 1800 dollar lense without knowing what you bought it for?::what::

I know what I'll shoot with it...but wondering what specific uses others are using theirs for? I know it's a medium range zoom, and has incredibly sharp pictures....great for group shots and portraits....but in a way, I guess I sound a little stupid.

Krs_2007

All I know is its high on my list, but for now my son needs something to drive so I have to chill for a bit. It will replace my 24-85 and I can't wait till I can order one. Multi use and used by a lot people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

T-Man

I have the 24-70 f/2.8, and it is indeed a great lens. However, in reality, it's the least used lens I own. I find I usually have the 24-120 f/4 attached to my D800 instead because it has more versatility, is lighter and more compact, and it has VR. I very seldom ever wish I had the extra aperture stop for the type of photography I do, and I don't mind bumping the ISO up a little if I need to regain some shutter speed. When I want to shoot the occasional portrait or other subject matter where I want nice bokeh, I usually just use my Zeiss Makro-Planar f/2 anyway. Apart from the 24-120 having more distortion, which I can correct in PP, I truly can't discern any IQ difference between it and the 24-70 at the same focal lengths. So, I might as well have more zoom range and VR in a smaller, lighter package. The 24-70 certainly has a more solid build, as if it might last forever, but until I break my 24-120, I have no reason to suspect it won't hold up to many years of use.

I'm actually thinking of selling my 24-70, in fact; not because there's anything wrong with it, but because I just don't use it much.

Last edited:

Cowleystjames

I'm finding the much hyped VR, a bit of a waste of time on such short lenses. On a telephoto it has it's uses, but on a wide to semi telephoto, mine's turned off. Probably why I like the 24-70 so much is the greater IQ than the 24-120 and it's greater versatility in low light than the 24-120.
Don't get me wrong, I love the 24-120, but only really as a snapshot lens perhaps where I'm walking around a destination not knowing what to expect. But where ultimate quality counts, it's always going to be the 24-70.

T-Man

You must have better eyes than me or you're doing some serious pixel-peeping, as I cannot discern any IQ difference between the 24-70 and 24-120 (when set at the same focal length and aperture), other than greater level of distortion in the latter, and I can correct that in post. If I nail the focus on either, I get the same great IQ results. The 24-70 is probably a bit sharper at the edges of the frame due to the 24-120's more pronounced distortion, but all I have to do is click on the lens profile correction in LR and maybe crop a little, and that advantage is gone. I have no doubt the 24-70 would be more likely to survive being dropped off a cliff, and it's certainly better for bokeh shots, but from f/4 - f/16 at the same focal lengths, if the 24-70 really has any IQ advantage, my eyes can't see it.

As for VR, all I can say is I get more handheld keepers with VR than without, especially in dim light. My 70-200 f/4 has such amazing VR, for example, that it's probably the most forgiving lens I own, and I get the highest % of tack sharp handheld images from it than any of my other lenses. I can get away with amazingly slow shutter speed with it and still get sharp photos. The VR on the 24-120 doesn't seem to be as effective as the VR on the 70-200 f/4.