Hey everyone!

orivasahmc

I'm new here and to any type of photography business, I'm in need of some help on deciding what camera would be best to take product photos for the furniture manufacturing company I work for. We do everything from TV Stands, Entertainment Centers, Tables, Desks to Kitchen Islands, Curios and Gun Cabinets. The photos will mainly be used to upload on to our webpage but will also be used in our catalog we put out every year and flyers we usually do every month. We have been using a professional photographer to take our photos but the price we pay is adding up and the best thing our company could do is invest in a camera ourselves to save cost in the long run. Since the shots we take for our furniture photos aren't remotely complex, we believe we could be able to take the photos our self and cut costs. Here's some photos to help paint a picture of what we're working with and looking for in a camera. Thank you for giving me a bit of your time! ;)

*Our budget is $500 - $1000

Attachments

• 15146.PNG
    15146.PNG
    98.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 16081.PNG
    16081.PNG
    172.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 93551.PNG
    93551.PNG
    128.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 95118.PNG
    95118.PNG
    105.7 KB · Views: 97
  • 95651.PNG
    95651.PNG
    143.9 KB · Views: 94
  • ER.PNG
    ER.PNG
    128.9 KB · Views: 96
  • YL.PNG
    YL.PNG
    93.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

RocketCowboy

Howdy and welcome to Nikonites! I'm new to photography as well, so I won't confuse things with my thoughts on cameras (being that I only have a month of experience driving the shutter button), but did want to welcome you to the site regardless!

Pretzel

Welcome to the site, and good luck. $500-$1000 budget for the camera, a good lens, the proper lighting/backdrops... could be tight. Especially if you consider that a backup might be necessary for if/when the main equipment goes down. Then, unless there's an experienced photographer on site already, there will be the cost of education, editing software, post processing skills, etc.

Here's what you get when you're hiring the professional:

Hopefully, EXPERIENCE - to the point that you'll get what you're asking for in minimal time because the photographer has spent a lot of time refining his craft so that he's ready for any lighting condition, etc. PLUS the experience to create the lighting he needs to get the look you want. There's usually a lot of education regarding the "basics" that was involved in getting to this level, too.

TIME - it's not just the time he's on location doing the shoot. It's the correspondence, prep, travel, importing, sorting, post-processing (editing) that's all going into the creation of the product you're after.

CREATIVITY - Ok, let's just call it "the eye". Photography is much more than put it over there, point the camera, snap the pic. Sometimes the look of the shot, making it appeal to the casual customer walking by, is the difference maker for successful sales, and that all comes from someone who knows how to get the "look" in a shot. Even the artistically inclined have to practice/develop their skills to get this down.

GEAR - pro-level DSLR's run anywhere from $1100 to (guessing without looking) $7k? Then, the average "PRO" level lens is up over $1000.00 as well. Granted, a 35mm prime (or 50, or 85) can run much less, but even then, they're in the hundreds. Then there's the lighting to eliminate shadows, the stands and umbrellas etc. to get the right quality of light and the right angles, the backdrops to hide the clutter... you get the picture (no pun intended). Then you get redundancy. If a career photographer wants to keep his business flowing, and be able to ALWAYS deliver, he has to have back up equipment for when his main equipment fails. Then there's the editing software itself, and a reference back to TIME and EXPERIENCE for the skills to edit both quickly and amazingly to produce the quality of shots necessary to continue earning money.

I AM NOT trying to discourage you, but want ya to be aware that, for the quality of even the pics you posted above, it's gonna take more than just a camera. If you're gonna dive into the whole shebang, it may eventually cost your company less to utilize an employee with the proper equipment and skill set, but it's gonna take a bit to get that employee set up with that equipment and skill set.

WHY do I mention all of this? Because I used to be one of those "if I could just afford a good camera, I'll be a PRO!" kinda folks. It didn't take me long to discover that there was so much more involved.

Again, I wish ya luck! You've found a great place full of wonderful people, advice, shots and discussions!

Moab Man

I agree with everything Pretzel said (especially your budget constraints). What I would add is an understanding of lighting. There are some on here that could use a low end dslr and turn out impressive results because they have the spacing, lighting, and know how that comes with lots of practice.

Not to discourage, but there is a lot of frustration between here and where you want to go.

fotojack

Yup, Pretzel's right on the money. There's a lot more than just pointing the camera and lens and taking a shot. Everything Pretzel said is exactly right. And for $500 - $1000 budget? Not gonna happen, I'm afraid.