Filming

Tolly Gregory

Hello,

I am trying to film some videos for my YouTube channel, and I need some help...
I use the Nikon D3200 with either my kit lens or the Nikor 50mm 1.8D (I would prefer to use this) as well as 2 x soft box lights.

When filming with my new lights and the 50mm lens, I get brown lines down the footage, and it is the same even when I change the frame speed. It is also a blue-ish shade with the fluorescent white-balance setting on... which I have read is suggested with soft boxes?
When filming with my new lights and the kit lens, I get the same blue-ish shade (with fluorescent white-balance) and sometimes the brown lines.
I watch YouTubers like Zoella (Please Google her), her videos are clear and ordinary colour with no lines, this is what I would like it to be closer too... although I understand she probably has better equipment.

What do you suggest I do? Do you think it is my lens/camera/lights or the settings? I'm not great with technical speak, so please answer in a simple way!
This would be a great help!
Thanks so much
T :p

crycocyon

It would be good if you could please show us example frames of the problem you are referring to. What kind of lights? Are they tungsten? What frame rates have you tried?

Tolly Gregory

Hi, urmmm, I can't get you an example right now I'm afraid, sorry if that is bad help!
The lights are just a cheap set from eBay, haven't got the budget for a fancy kind! I've tried the frame rates on the normal settings of the D3200... is that any help?

Like I said I'm not a pro so sorry if I am being tricky!
Thanks

Moab Man

The file is needed to see if this might be a sensor issue, a lighting issue, or who knows what.

As for the blue coloring. Fluorescents come in many different temperatures (color). Your tubes could be a different temperature than the preset in the camera. It means you will have to get deeper in the settings (instruction manual) to make a different selection or do a custom white balance (instruction manual).

Tolly Gregory

Ahh I see! That helps with the blue colouring.
Unfortunately I can't get a sample tonight but I will try ASAP. Do you have any idea? It doesn't happen as much on my kit lens and the further away the camera is from the subject of the video and the lights, the less obvious the lines become, but of course I need it to be more upclose.
Thanks

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The shutter speed selected can also create colored smears with some fluorescent lights. Maybe you could try different (slower) shutter speed to see if it would affect your problem.

Answering in simple way could be difficult specially to resolve a probably very technical problem.

But an example is needed in order to get maximum help.