dreaded color runs.....

fhibbs12

Well, it happened. A neighbor asked me if I could shoot a color run they are in tomorrow. The subdivision I live in is running it for a girl in the neighborhood who was recently diagnosed with autism.

The "color" areas where they through the paint is marked. If I position myself upwind away from those positions with my 70 200 at max ranged would I be safe? Or are the particles so fine the will drift easily? It's to short of a notice to order and covers but would really like to shoot this for them. Thoughts?

Moab Man

I think it will all come down to whether or not you have a steady breeze pushing it away from you as well as knowing the people won't get behind you. I believe it was borrowleses.com that had a write up about a lens that got trashed because the particles went everywhere, to include inside the lens. Unfortunately, we can't know how that person used/treated the lens.

fhibbs12

Yeah I seen that article.

Just from simple logic though. It seems if I position myself between the color way points and the wind is not blowing the particles actively towards me. I find it hard to beleive it will be of much risk. The is a big differ ce in being up in the action and outside of it. If the particles drifted locations that easily it would be all over byildings/cars/signs and everything else everywhere on the course.

fhibbs12

I see what you are saying. The powder coming off them as they are running will drift back onto me?

Any quick easy solutions to power proofing the camera? Lol

Moab Man

LOL nope on powder proofing.

And if I'm remembering right the powder is static charged to stick to things.

If it were me, I would pull out my crop sensor camera and inexpensive 55-200mm kit lens to shoot with. Sure, it won't do the job of my full frame and or a superior 70-200mm, but the 55-200mm will deliver the shot and if it all goes bad I lose a couple hundred dollar lens verse a lots of hundreds worth of lens.

Side note... update your profile with your camera. Not sure what you were shooting so I don't know if crop sensor and 55-200mm might even be an option.