Tethered to ipad?

Skwaz

Hi guys
thethering?
i understand the basic idea but what are the requirements ?
is it possible with ipad?
what are the advantages apart from a larger screen ?
what software ?
its not on my priority list at the moment just soaking up info
thanx

FastGlass

When shooting tethered, yes the large screen is one of the bonuses but there are much more advantages to going this route. Images are already imported into an external hard drive saving time. Including a file name to all the imports along with EXIF data. Choosing and customizing a preset so that while shooting, all the RAW images are adjusted for exposure, clarity, sharpness, saturation, WB, lens correction etc... All this is done as you shoot so at the end of the shoot all or most of the post processing is already finished.
I use Lightroom 4 to accomplish this and it works flawlessly.

FastGlass

I did find info on how to tether to an Ipad. Although I can't figure out how to include it with this reply. Just google tethering to an I pad.

Patrick M

I use an Eye-Fi SD card which is wifi enabled.

On your iPad, in settings, looks for the eye-Fi card in the list of wifi providers. You'll need their free app too. Works well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Fortkentdad

I found that I could tether my D610 to my Android Tablet and use a program called Dashboard. Set it up and thought, hmmm that has possibilities but never played with it. I know I can by a wifi attachment for my camera and connect wirelessly (about $60 or thereabouts). I didn't by the wifi yet - have never gone back and tried using Dashboard tethered. I figure I'll try it tethered and see if I like it - if I do then maybe it justifies the wifi adaptor. It does let you GPS tag your images too using the GPS in the tablet. And I found you can overcome the three image bracket limit and bracket as many as you want. Or so I believe. Like I said, never tried to use it.

The one use that I might try is as for self portraits using a delayed remote control button. (Or family portraits with you in it too). I enjoy using the pivoting screen on my D5100 on a tripod this way and miss that on my D610.

See review of Dashboard here: Re: D600 + WU-1b + DSLR Dashboard = AWESOME!!: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I don't know if there is an iPad version or equivalent app.