Bolampau

Hi Folks,
I joined the forum yesterday and have already posted two photos taken recently.

Thought it good manners to quickly introduce myself. I live in a small village in rural Lincolnshire, England. I have been passionate about photography since the 70's and currently do freelance work when I can get it.

I have just bought a D7100 as I needed the extra reach that DX offers. As a hobby, I follow the BBMF (Battle of Britain Memorial Flight) and using telephoto lenses is key. As these planes are not jet driven I need to use slow shutter speeds to get the radial blur on the propellors, so fast F2.8 primes are not necessary. Typically, I'm using 1/250th or slower on slow zooms and holding the lens steady is the biggest problem. I have tried the following:-

1) tripod - too cumbersome and I end up lifting it plus camera and lens as the Lancaster bomber flies overhead.
2) monopod - same issue as tripod but much lighter. I have to be careful I don't hit other spectators standing nearby!
3) gimbal mount on tripod/monopod - too slow.
3) BushHawk rifle stock - works really well when using 70-400mm zooms.
4) handheld - works really well but BushHawk is better for me.
5) prime lenses - too heavy and lack the benefit of zooming out as the plane flies overhead.

I am hoping that the 80-400 latest VR II will be good (if/when I buy it) but have just bought the 70-300mm G to try out this weekend - it's Trooping the Colour and the BBMF take off from their base at RAF Coningsby to do a flypast for the Queen over Buckingham Palace. I'm hoping that the 70-300, with its VR, will do a good job and could be easier to use handheld rather than any of the above methods. If not, then I'll buy the 80-400mm which I would use with the BushHawk.

Having just bought the D7100 I've been using it on walks around the countryside and am blown away by the quality of photos taken at 100 ISO, I reckon they're as good as my Sony A7 when printed to A2 size!

Currently, I only have MF lenses for my Sony A7R and A7 but have stopped using these cameras as I'm really enjoying the quality and AF of the Nikon. I last used Nikon in the 90's and am so happy I've gone back to this brand. However, it's so good that I'm not just using it for shooting the planes!!! I've read a lot on this forum about upgrading to the D610 but, for me, I'd use the Sonys for FF and get another D7100 when funds allow.
N.B. I'm a big fan of using two cameras together which I got into the habit when shooting weddings.

Kind regards,
Paul

wornish

welcome.gif

Woodyg3

Contributor
Welcome.

FWIW, I hand hold my aviation pics, but I also go ahead and use a fast shutter speed like 1/1000 or faster. Yes, the prop is "frozen," but I get many more sharp pictures that way, even with VR.

Bolampau

Thanks Folks,
just a quick note to say that I've pre-ordered the Tamron 150-600mm zoom. I thought hard about the Nikkor 80-400 but the Tamron will give me extra reach up to 900mm using the D7100. This will be useful when I'm photographing planes a long distance on the runway for take off and landings. Am keen to capture the heat haze in warm weather too.

Unfortunately, I've no idea how long it'll be before the Tamron is delivered.
Cheers,
Paul