We're Surrogate Grandparents

Alan

We had a Mallard nest in our garden three weeks ago. This afternoon the ducklings hatched. Here are a few shots and I believe some of them are less than an hour old. Might get some more shots later tonight.

DSCN9571.jpg
DSCN9579.jpg
DSCN9581.jpg
DSCN9590.jpg

Alan

Thanks for all the comments guys. Here are a couple more from tonight. Had half the neighborhood over for baby watching. Good thing Mom is so used to me being around that she didn't really seem to care. She just sat there and the kids would pop in and out as they saw fit. She did however use her wings about 30 minutes ago to nudge them all back under her.

DSCN9598.jpg
DSCN9585.jpg

Alan

Mom left for a few minutes this morning so I got a shot of the nest. I count 11.

DSCN9615.jpg
While I was getting the nest shots i heard a Quack behind me. Mom was in the neighbors driveway and not real happy with me. She even brought Dad ( first time I have seen him around) but he took off again.

DSCN9639.jpg
DSCN9641.jpg

Last edited:

Alan

According to everything I read they abandon the nest in about 24 hours. She takes them to whatever water source she has been using to eat as they will be safer there than in the nest.

nikonpup

you should have gotten the lady a pool. :) or maybe she just didn't like the paparazzi hanging around. Lol some nice shots while it lasted, thanks for posting.

Alan

you should have gotten the lady a pool. :) or maybe she just didn't like the paparazzi hanging around. Lol some nice shots while it lasted, thanks for posting.

Actually one of my neighbors daughter put her inflatable pool in their front yard hoping she would use it, but alas no such luck. And yes there were neighbors in my yard with cameras that I didn't even know :)