35, 50, 85 on DX?

PaulWog

I currently have two primes: the 50mm 1.8G, and 85mm 1.8G. I used to own the 35mm 1.8G, but I sold it due to a backfocussing issue. I had some issues with Nikon's warranty services, so I gave up and sold it to someone who had a camera with focus calibration. I'm thinking about picking up the 35mm 1.8G again. I love the focal length. However, I'm curious how others manage their primes. The 35mm and 50mm overlap a fair bit, and likewise the 50mm and 85mm feel very similar for many applications. Is there anyone who frequently uses the 35mm 1.8G and 50mm 1.8G on a DX sensor?

Last edited:

skene

I use both frequently. I do not feel that they overlap each other as they both offer different perspectives. I enjoy the 50 for more outdoor shooting as it just feels a bit more comfortable, and the 35 when I shoot indoors and have a lack of room. Moreover I prefer the 50 if given the choice between the two, however this is based on my needs and what I use them for.

JDFlood

If I still shot a DX I'd use a 28mm for normal. I use a 35mm for my FX. Better depth of field for street, landscape etc.

DCB

Try the Nikon 24mm 2.8 AF-D It's a 35mm in DX and that is my favorite angle lens.

Peace

Last edited:

aroy

If have a 35mm DX and 50mm AF, as well as the kit 18-55. I use all three lenses. 18-55 in fat light and when I need its versatility. The kit lense has the the shortest close focusing distance, so close ups at 55 are the best. The 35 and 50 for their better microcontrast and low light capability.

Each lense has its strengths and weakness. You have to figure out the strengths and use the appropriate lense for the occasion.

crycocyon

I use the 50mm 1.4G on my D7000 and it is my go-to lens for portraits using that camera. It offers great image quality and is similar in perspective to my 85 1.4G on my FX cameras. I haven't used the 85mm 1.4G as much as it is a bit to close for me indoors for portraits. But it works fine and the IQ is terrific, just as with the 1.8 equivalent.

D7000 with 85mm 1.4G

d7000w8514g1.jpg

D7000 with 50mm 1.4G

d7000w50mm14g.jpg

Last edited: